Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Film: Salt





GENRE:
Action

RATING: PG-13 for violence

RUNTIME: 1 hour and 40 minutes

STARRING: Angelina Jolie (Mr & Mrs Smith)

Liev Schrieber (Manchurian Candidate)

DIRECTOR: Phillip Noyce (Patriot Games)

WRITER: Kurt Wimmer (The Thomas Crown Affair)

PLOT: A CIA agent goes on the run when she’s accused of being a Russian spy.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:

1 I thought Jolie did a fine job in this action-packed role. Amazingly enough it was intended for Tom Cruise who turned it down. It would have been as fun watching Cruise in this role. Jolie does kick some serious butt.

2 The plot reminded me of The Fugitive with one major difference; I cared what happened in The Fugitive. I was rooting for Harrison Ford to get away but also rooting for Tommy Lee Jones to get his man. In this film, I wasn’t rooting for anyone. It didn’t really matter me if Salt was a Russian spy or not. I wasn’t too invested in the characters.

3 Lots of senseless violence. I like a good action film but there were a lot of innocent people getting shot.

4 Liev Schreiber did well in his serious role but I wanted more from Chiwetel Ejiofor. There was nothing really distinctive about his agent Peabody, he’s usually a lot better (Serenity, Children of Men for example).

5 They set this film up for a sequel. Don’t count your franchises before the opening weekend hatches.

RECOMMENDATION: Wait for TBS

UPCOMING REVIEWS: Knight and Day

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you see EVERY movie EVER or something?

Blackout said...

I WON'T be seeing Cats and Dogs 2. So not EVERY movie. (Although I'm not sure it qualifies as a movie.)

Anonymous said...

haha, that makes sense, good call.

Mike Perschon said...

I agree 100% about the caring. I didn't care, and that's what ultimately sunk this movie a few points.