Friday, December 30, 2022

Film: Nope

 

GENRE: Horror? More like Thriller.
RATING: R for language and some violent images
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 10 minutes
PLATFORM: Download
STARRING: Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out, Judas and the Black Messiah)
Keke Palmer (Lightyear); Brandon Perea (The OA)
DIRECTOR: Jordan Peele (Get Out, Us)
WRITER: Peele (Keanu, Get Out, Us, Candyman)
PLOT: Horse wranglers see a UFO.

FULL DISCLOSURE: The trailer didn’t grab me.          

STORY STUFF: I wasn’t thrilled with this film. I found Get Out a lot more compelling if I’m allowed to compare the films of Jordan Peele. Not a huge fan of UFOs and even less a fan of westerns and horses. It does seem fitting this day and age to have a major plot point be trying to get the perfect photo. There were a couple fun jump scares but I wasn’t on the edge of my seat.

ACTING STUFF: Kaluuya is fine as the lead but I got the sense that he didn’t want to be in this film. Palmer looks like she’s having a blast though. She was fun to watch. Also enjoyed Perea’s work as he joins in on the hunt. I like Steven Yeun (Minari, Walking Dead) but I wanted more from him. I felt he was underused.  

ARTISTIC STUFF: There are some nice shots but again the western and horses stuff doesn’t work for me. The music was engaging but nothing to write home about. I did like the use of Corey Hart’s “I Wear My Sunglasses at Night” in the film.  

VERDICT: Two and half stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You like cowboys and aliens and I don’t mean the 2011 film
UPCOMING REVIEW:  Best of 2022

No comments: