Thursday, December 29, 2022

Film: The Banshees of Inisherin

 

GENRE: Dramedy
RATING: R for language, some violent content and brief nudity
RUNTIME: 1 hour and 54 minutes
PLATFORM: Download
STARRING: Colin Farrell (Saving Mr. Banks, In Bruges, The Batman)
Brendan Gleeson (Harry Potter 4); Kerry Condon (Three Billboards…)
DIRECTOR: Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths)
WRITER: McDonagh (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri)
PLOT: Two lifelong friends are at an impasse when one abruptly ends their relationship.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I haven’t seen In Bruges but I should.          

STORY STUFF: It’s a simple story plot-wise but it is also heartbreaking, humourous and kept me wondering how it was going to end up. Despite some slow burns as the impasse between the two grows, it does escalate to a point where I question some motives. Because of the stripped down story and well-written dialogue, I think this could serve very well as a stage play, which is in McDonagh’s wheelhouse. Wish I had subtitles as I could not always understand what everyone was saying with their thick accents though.

ACTING STUFF: Farrell is wonderful as Padraic as he tries to reunite with his best friend; his emotions are on his sleeve as we root for him. Gleeson is just as compelling with his quiet stance and hidden emotions. Condon also shines as Padraic’s sister who is frustrated with the whole ordeal. I’m not a huge fan of Barry Keoghan (Eternals), but he is awkwardly fun in this film.

ARTISTIC STUFF: Ireland looks so pretty. There is lots of beautiful cinematography throughout. I also enjoyed the animal actors.

VERDICT: Four stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You like Irish plays and broken relationships
UPCOMING REVIEW:  Nope

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed all the characters in this film (but not sure what the need for the old lady was, maybe I missed something at the beginning)