Monday, January 31, 2022

January TV Checklist

 

So, I thought I’d try something a little different especially as there is not much stuff to watch in the theatre right now. I’m a big fan of television but I don’t focus on it as much on this blog. Instead of waiting for my year end top choices, I thought I should give a monthly update on the shows I’m watching. (I’ll forgo the re-watch stuff though.) As these shows are all in different parts of their seasons/series, it seems unfair to rank them or even give a letter grade at this point. I thought it would be enough to share some of my thoughts on each show. Let me know what you think in the comments below or write something on Facebook. Would like to know if it’s worth doing. Enjoy.

THIS IS US (NBC)
With only 18 episodes in this final season, why are we focusing on periphery characters like Nick or Jack’s mother who we barely know? Let’s wrap things up properly with the main cast and have a good cry.

AMAZING RACE (CBS)
Love that this show is back on the air. I loved the premiere as I have been at some of the locations. The pandemic nineteen-month pause was a major twist. Why contestants who can’t run or drive stick or jump off high things apply for this show makes me shake my head every time.

PEACEMAKER (HBO)
The opening title sequence is enough of a reason to watch this show. It is awesome and one of the best TV opening titles of all time. The show is also really well done. James Gunn is writing all the episodes and it shows. It’s full of intriguing mystery/drama, big budget action and bizarre but hysterical humour. It’s also extreme so it’s not for everyone.

OZARK (NETFLIX)
I found this first half of the final season much better than the last. Wendy’s brother got really annoying. This season I’m loving Jonah and there are some pretty tense episodes. Gotta wait for the second half now.

AFTER LIFE (NETFLIX)
Ricky Gervais strikes a fascinating tone for this show. There are some really funny parts and really melancholy moments. It’s hard to know how to react at times. The seasons are short like British shows often are but at least Gervais went for a third season for the first time. Wish there was less focus on the side characters and more on Tony’s relationships.

MACGRUBER (SHOWTIME)
I thought the trio mini-sketches on SNL were funny. I was surprised that the movie had a bunch of laughs as they stretched the character further. A full series is not working for me though. There’s a chuckle here and there but not enough to make me care to tune in each week. Apparently, ninety minutes is my limit on Will Forte’s MacGyver parody.

BOOK OF BOBA FETT (DISNEY+)
Snoresville. I hope this book is only one volume. The Mandalorian is so much better. Boba hanging with quiet Sand People is not that adventurous. Their best episode so far was the one that almost exclusively featured The Mandalorian. Go figure.

JEOPARDY (SYNDICATION)
There is something about watching a contestant on a long winning streak that keeps me on the edge of my seat. Ken Jennings also came off well during these past few weeks hosting, no offense to Mayim Bialik.

ORDINARY JOE (NBC)
I gave up. I liked the premise at first and I like to support shows that try something different. Lord knows we have enough medical dramas and shows about the FBI. At the start, I just didn’t like the mopey nurse Joe. Now, all three are insufferable. Plots are getting predictable and outright ridiculous. I tried hard to like it but I just couldn’t do it any longer.

THE WONDER YEARS (ABC)
Still enjoying this show but mostly for Dule Hill as the dad. Its low ratings make me thinks this show will be one and done.

YOUNG SHELDON (CBS)
The Sheldon and Mother storylines are only so-so. Missy is awesome and I’m loving Georgie’s style when it comes to comedy. But the real kicker is watching the emotional moments and struggles of Sheldon’s dad. He’s pretty much the heart of the show right now.

BILLIONS (SHOWTIME)
I miss Damian Lewis but am enjoying Corey Stoll. Still loving Wags and Chuck has been getting so much better. Wendy and Taylor have overstayed their welcome. Let’s see how this final season plays out.

THE GILDED AGE (HBO)
Only saw the pilot episode so far. It has some of the good qualities of Downton Abbey but I’m not drawn to the servants as much. I’ll give it a few more episodes to see how things play out.

THE CHASE (ABC)
Love the trivia. Hate the long explanations of rules and lighting changes. Have to keep my finger on the remote to fast forward those. It seems like a lot of mental work only to get picked off by the chasers and get nothing.

THE SIMPSONS (FOX)
Only episode this January was a football themed one. It was fittingly dedicated to the late John Madden but the episode was not as funny as it could have been.

 Until next month . . . 


No comments: