Thursday, May 07, 2020

Influential Albums - Part 6


Welcome to part six. These five albums are part of a big year of employment changes. I went from waiting tables at TGIFridays to video editing at Green Bay Bible Camp to acting in the road company for Taproot Theatre in Seattle.

TITLE: Mercedes Five and Dime
ARTIST: Moist
YEAR: 1999
GENRE: Alternative Rock
ALBUM TRACKS: Underground; Dogs; Breathe; Fish; Comes and Goes; Mike Hammer; Tonight; Alive; Pleasing Falsetto; Mandolin; Place; Liberation; Deliver Me



FAVOURITE TRACK:
Alive
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK: For some reason, I like the synthesized nature of David Usher’s singing in this song; it fits nicely with the asthma references. I love it when the drums kick in during the chorus, especially after the line “I could argue but it breaks my back”. I always bop my head up and down when that happens. I’m a geek, I know.
ALBUM INFLUENCE: There’s a dark intensity to Moist’s music that I find compelling. I appreciated the darkness as I was still contemplating what to do with my life. Usher’s voice is pretty mesmerizing as well.     


TITLE: Enema of the State
ARTIST: Blink 182
YEAR: 1999
GENRE: Pop Punk
ALBUM TRACKS: Dumpweed; Don’t Leave Me; Aliens Exist; Going Away to College; What’s My Age Again?; Dysentery Gary; Adam’s Song; All the Small Things; The Party Song; Mutt; Wendy Clear; Anthem


FAVOURITE TRACK:
The Party Song
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK: I love the speed of this song. It’s fun to try and sing along with. I also enjoy the big inhale before the singing begins. Thrown in “nah, nah, nah”s are always welcome too.   
ALBUM INFLUENCE: This album was played a lot when I was living on my own in Seattle. With all the seriousness in my life, I appreciated the rambunctious immaturity of Blink 182. This album gave me a spring in my step as I took my daily 20-minute walk to the theatre. Fun stuff.   


TITLE: Nasty Little Thoughts
ARTIST: Stroke 9
YEAR: 1999
GENRE: Alternative Rock
ALBUM TRACKS: Letters; City Life; Little Black Backpack; Tail of the Sun; Washin’ + Wonderin’; Make It Last; Are You In This?; Not Nothin’; One Time; Down; Angels; Tear Me In Two


FAVOURITE TRACK:
Little Black Backpack
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK: This became our theme for Taproot Theatre’s Road Company after we finished a gig at a school or church. We’d blast this song in the van and sing along. Love the music switches from the verse to the chorus. Also, also so fun to sing “Your bloody black backpack back” at the top of your lungs.  
ALBUM INFLUENCE: I got this album based on “Little Black Backpack”. When I listened to the rest of the CD, I was pleasantly surprised. I played it a lot during our long road trips for the theatre. The lyrics also became relevant as I had a crush on someone I was acting with.


TITLE: Everything You Want
ARTIST: Vertical Horizon
YEAR: 1999
GENRE: Alternative Rock
ALBUM TRACKS: We Are; You’re a God; Everything You Want; Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning); You Say; Finding Me; Miracle; Send It Up; Give You Back; All of You; Shackled


FAVOURITE TRACK:
Finding Me
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK: I’ll admit many of the songs on this album sound similar so it was hard to pick one. The lyrics hit home for me; trying to find myself while dealing with this crush and getting in my head about it. The line ‘cause I like some suffering’ fit with my emo nature at the time.
ALBUM INFLUENCE: This was another big album on my daily walking commute to the theatre. When I didn’t want the punky Blink 182, I would listen to the angsty words of Vertical Horizon. Again, a bunch of the lyrics also related to that crush I had.  


TITLE: There is Nothing Left to Lose
ARTIST: Foo Fighters
YEAR: 1999
GENRE: Alternative Rock / Post Grunge
ALBUM TRACKS: Stacked Actors; Breakout; Learn to Fly; Gimme Stitches; Generator; Aurora; Live-In Skin; Next Year; Headwires; Ain’t It the Life; M.I.A.



FAVOURITE TRACK:
Stacked Actors
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK:  Love the driving beat and the bass riffs. I should take offense as it’s against acting, but I love it all the same. It’s more about people being fake. I don’t believe the theory that it’s a knock on Courtney Love and her lying about what happened to Kurt Cobain.   
ALBUM INFLUENCE: Like I’ve said before, I sometimes need to yell. I enjoy the mix of melody, grunge guitar and primal screaming in this album. Dave Grohl is awesome. I loved yelling during “Breakout”, nodding my head during “M.I.A.” and smiling during “Next Year”. I was happy that “Next Year” was used as the theme song for Ed.  

No comments: