Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Influential Albums - Part 5


Welcome to part five. These five albums are part of my transition from post break-up to trying to figure out what to do with my life. Maybe you can relate?

TITLE: Underdogs
ARTIST: Matthew Good Band
YEAR: 1997
GENRE: Alternative Rock
ALBUM TRACKS: Deep Six; Everything is Automatic; Apparitions; My Out of Style is Coming Back; Strangest One of All; Middle Class Gangsters; Rico; Prime Time Deliverance; The Inescapable Us; Indestructible; Invasion 1; Look Happy, It’s the End of the World; Change of Season

FAVOURITE TRACK: Deep Six
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK: I like the phrasing of this song. Short bursts of lyrics and great guitar. Love the line ‘pretend to know’ sung under the breath and the use of the word ‘Polyurethane’. Great driving song.
ALBUM INFLUENCE: I know Matthew Good is not the nicest person in the world but I appreciate the commentary and poetry he puts in his lyrics. While I love “Jenni’s Song” from Beautiful Midnight and “Symbolistic White Walls” from Last of the Ghetto Astronauts a lot more, this album is full of gems and ends great with “Change of Season”. This almost anthem rock was a nice change of pace for me during this time. Being Canadian was a plus too.    


TITLE: Eve 6
ARTIST: Eve 6
YEAR: 1998
GENRE: Alternative Rock / Pop Punk
ALBUM TRACKS: How Much Longer; Inside Out; Leech; Showerhead; Open Road Song; Jesus Nitelite; Superhero Girl; Tongue Tied; Saturday Night; There’s a Face; Small Town Trap


FAVOURITE TRACK: Inside Out
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK: The lyrics and imagery are so fantastic in this song. “Want to put my tender hear in a blender, watch it spin around to a beautiful oblivion”. Also, so clever with their word choices, “Or am I origami”. A great screw you break up song that I needed at the time.  
ALBUM INFLUENCE: This album was also on the rotation as I drove up to Terrace post engagement break up. It had the right amount of heaviness and yelling. Gotta yell in the car sometimes.  


TITLE: Silent Radar
ARTIST: The Watchmen
YEAR: 1998
GENRE: Alternative Rock
ALBUM TRACKS: Stereo; Any Day Now; I’m Waiting; Rooster; Silent Radar; Do It; He’s Gone; Say Something; On My Way; Top of the World; Come Around; Brighter Hell



FAVOURITE TRACK:
Brighter Hell
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK: A song about wanting back in a relationship even though it is doomed to fail. The mournful music and lyrics like “It’s hard for me to stay away” gets to me. I also enjoy the crescendo at the end. 
ALBUM INFLUENCE: Though there was anger and bitterness after the break-up, there were times of introspection and wrestling with my thoughts. This Canadian band helped with that.


TITLE: Dizzy Up the Girl
ARTIST: The Goo Goo Dolls
YEAR: 1998
GENRE: Alternative Rock
ALBUM TRACKS: Dizzy; Slide; Broadway; January Friend; Black Balloon; Bullet Proof; Amigone; All Eyes on Me; Full Forever; Acoustic #3; Iris; Extra Pale; Hate This Place



FAVOURITE TRACK:
Black Balloon
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK: Okay, this song is clearly about heroin addiction and I can’t relate to that. However, when I used to listen to it, I felt addicted to the girl that left me and wallowed in my destructive nature as I tried to get over it.
ALBUM INFLUENCE: This album is full of sad songs of regret and loss. There’s a pleading nature to John Rzeznik’s voice on most of the songs. This a good album to cry to. I found it pretty cathartic.


TITLE: New Way to Be Human
ARTIST: Switchfoot
YEAR: 1999
GENRE: Alternative Christian Rock
ALBUM TRACKS: New Way to Be Human; Incomplete; Sooner or Later (Soren’s Song); Company Car; Let That Be Enough; Something More (Augustine’s Confession); Only Hope; Amy’s Song; I Turn Everything Over; Under the Floor

FAVOURITE TRACK: Let That Be Enough
LISTEN TO THE TRACK: Click here
WHY THIS TRACK:  This song is a prayer for God to be a part of my life. It’s a song of desperation and was necessary as I was slowly piecing my life back together. The line “and I have no plans” was pretty accurate at the time. ALBUM INFLUENCE: This album, as well as a slew of other Christian music, was introduced to me at Green Bay Bible Camp. Being hired to edit their camp videos, I would spend long hours into the night with the thoughtful lyrics of these Christian bands reviving my faith. Those who say there is no good Christian music are idiots. “Company Car” drew me to this band initially, but the whole album became an inspiration for me. Switchfoot is still my favourite Christan band, hands down. (Sorry Rick)

No comments: