Friday, December 28, 2018

Film: Welcome to Marwen









GENRE: Drama
RATING: PG13 for violence, some language & doll/drawn nudity
RUNTIME: 1 hours and 56 minutes
STARRING: Steve Carell (Little Miss Sunshine, The Office, Vice )
Leslie Mann (This is 40), Merritt Wever (Walking Dead, Studio 60)
DIRECTOR: Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future, Forrest Gump)
WRITERS: Caroline Thompson (Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas), Robert Zemeckis (Polar Express, Back to the Future)
PLOT: An artist turns to photography and action figures to help him recover after a traumatic attack.

FULL DISCLOSURE: The idea of this story drew me in.

STORY STUFF: I was pulled into the story pretty quickly. It may help that I used to spend a lot of time playing with my own action figures (maybe even beyond the usual age of ‘growing out of them’). I was touched by the true story of this artist trying to cope by any means necessary. I actually wish there was a bit more interaction between Carell’s Mark Hogancamp and the people in his real life. I also found it odd how accommodating and understanding everyone was, especially the women who find themselves represented by his action figures.  

ACTING STUFF: I thought Carell did a fantastic job. I was rooting for him the entire time. He made me really feel for Mark. Mann, as the new neighbor, was one of those women who were a little too understanding right from the start. I always enjoy the work of Wever, ever since Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. She always plays things so naturally.  

ARTISTIC STUFF: The mix of real and action figure was masterful; they blended perfectly. The attention to detail was amazing. I would love to have some of those photographs. I also really enjoyed the Back to the Future references. Fun stuff amongst the sad parts.

VERDICT: Three and a half stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You loved your action figures and enjoy Steve Carell.
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Vice

No comments: