Friday, December 28, 2018

Film: A Star is Born









GENRE: Drama, Romance
RATING: R for language, nudity, substance abuse
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 16 minutes
STARRING: Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook, American Sniper)
Lady Gaga (American Horror Story), Sam Elliot (Tombstone, The Ranch)
DIRECTOR: Bradley Cooper (newcomer)
WRITERS: Eric Roth (Forrest Gump, Munich, Ali, The Insider),
Will Fetters (The Lucky One), Cooper (newcomer)
PLOT: A musician helps a young singer find fame while his star is quickly fading due to alcoholism.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Only watched this because of the Oscar buzz.

STORY STUFF: Could not get into the story. Maybe because I didn’t want to see Lady Gaga, sorry Ally, succeed. Maybe because it’s hard to watch someone destroy their life with alcohol. I don’t know. I did find the Grammy Award scene cringingly well done. I could just imagine the memes and how that would end up on every highlight package.

ACTING STUFF: Cooper does an excellent job. I enjoyed his chameleon-ish low growl along with the brilliant pairing of Sam Elliot as his brother. I’m really not a Lady Gaga fan, she just doesn’t seem authentic to me. I did enjoy the mini Alias reunions with Will Tippin (Cooper) hanging with Eric Weiss (Greg Grunberg) and learning from Arvin Sloan (Ron Rifkin).

ARTISTIC STUFF: The songs are okay but I’m not rushing to buy the soundtrack. There was a lot more guitar than I expected. Cooper’ directing was pretty good. There’s a great scene where we just see the bottom half of the body for a while, it’s a spoiler though, so I can’t really expand on that.

VERDICT: Two and a half stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You’re one of Lady Gaga’s little monsters?
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Welcome to Marwen, Vice

No comments: