Friday, December 21, 2018

Film: Spiderman - Into the Spider-Verse









GENRE: Animated Adventure
RATING: PG for mild language, action violence and thematic elements
RUNTIME: 1 hour and 57 minutes
STARRING: Shameik Moore (The Get Down, Dope)
Jake Johnson (New Girl, Tag), Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit, Bumblebee)
DIRECTORS: Peter Ramsey (Rise of the Guardians);
Bob Persichetti & Rodney Rothman (newcomers)
WRITERS: Rothman (22 Jump Street) & Phil Lord (The Lego Movie)
PLOT: Miles Morales becomes Spiderman and crosses paths with Spidermen from other dimensions.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Love the first Maguire Spidey and Homecoming.

STORY STUFF: I went in thinking I may be confused by the multi-verse aspect as I haven’t seen any Miles versions or other iterations. While I enjoy superhero films, I was never a true comic book fan (I only had a few to call my own). Luckily, they give enough backstory.  I found the story very engaging and enjoyable for the most part. I have to say ‘for the most part’ because a lady sitting behind me was more animated than what I was seeing on the screen. She would laugh way too hard at the jokes which made me wish it was less funny. But, unfortunately and fortunately, it was full of witty fun. This is well worth a second watch in the privacy of my own home.

ACTING STUFF: Great voice acting all around. Love the snarky sarcasm of Johnson and the odd-ness of John Mulaney (one of my favourite comedians at the moment). I was also unaware that Nicolas Cage (Face/Off, The Rock) voiced Spiderman Noir, he played it well. Fun stuff.

ARTISTIC STUFF: The animation is incredible. There are a number of styles that get blended together in a feast for the eyes. I don’t think the 3D is necessary though.

VERDICT: Four stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You enjoy Spiderman and enjoy a variety of animation
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Mary Poppin’s Returns, Welcome to Marwen

No comments: