Thursday, December 31, 2015

Best of Movies 2015

Here are my top ten picks for movies of 2015. I’ve included the links to my reviews so I don’t have to repeat myself. I know some people will be shocked that Mad Max: Fury Road is not on here but the awesome action sequences could not make me forget the minimal plot and dialogue of grunts. Anyway, here’s the list:

1. STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS
I felt like a kid again watching this film. The story just brings you in from the very start. Probably the best Star Wars writing since Empire.
2. INSIDE OUT
What an unbelievably clever film. Pixar does such a great job creating stories. It’s pretty amazing. I admit to shedding a tear.
3. MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION
This is an awesome action flick. Beyond the plane sequence, there is a thrilling underwater and motorcycle sequence. (Not at the same time)
4. THE MARTIAN
What an engaging story. I was riveted the entire time. Matt Damon rocks this film. He has the perfect mix of humour and intensity in this role.
5. THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
Another Joss Whedon slamdunk. Not as fun as the first one but highly entertaining with its action/humour/pathos mix. It’s a pretty close second.
6. ROOM
What a compelling story. The room itself is claustrophobic but also strangely cozy in a very disturbing way.
7. THE WALK
The wire walk affected me completely. I held my breath, my heart was racing and my palms were sweating. An excruciating/invigorating sequence.
8. SPOTLIGHT
I was fascinated with the amount of research put into one big article about the Catholic molestation scandal. It was some tough stuff to learn about.
9. STEVE JOBS
I love the idea of making this story into a three act play only focusing on three half-hours. Aaron Sorkin is a genius. I could listen to his words all day.
10. TRAINWRECK
Amy Schumer wrote a very funny film. One of the things I love most about it is taking the cliché rom-com and flipping it around.


UPCOMING REVIEWS: 2016 Previews

No comments: