Saturday, June 15, 2013

Film: Man of Steel








GENRE:
Action / Fantasy
RATING:
PG for some language and sci-fi violence
RUNTIME:
2 hours and 23 minutes

STARRING:
Henry Cavill (Immortals, Stardust, The Tudors)
Michael Shannon (Boardwalk Empire); Amy Adams (The Fighter)

DIRECTOR:
Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen, Suckerpunch)
WRITER:
David S Goyer (Dark Knight series; Blade series)
PLOT:
The origin story of Superman as he learns different qualities from both his earthly and Kryptonian fathers.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1
Snyder makes everything look cool but there is hardly any fun. The joy is completely sucked out of this film. I can only recall maybe three lighter moments. I’m all for heroes brooding but they also need someone to tell them to stop. (Like Alfred & Lucius in Batman). At least the acting is top notch from all players. Unfortunately, they don’t get that many chances to act since a good chunk is a copycat of Transformers destroying a city in an all-out fight of invincible adversaries.
2
Nothing really fazes the characters in this film. Most people are completely accepting of alien races without the slightest freaking out. Alternately, General Zod seems pretty comfortable with Earth’s technology and stuff (sure his powers cause a problem or two). 
3
Apparently I should only be caring about a handful of human beings. I guess I’m supposed to root for three of Lois Lane’s Daily Planet co-workers, even though nothing has been established to endear them to the audience. I didn’t even know two of their names.
4
I admit I don’t know much about Krypton but I didn’t like the flying creatures. Either have spaceships or creatures, don’t have both.
5
I suddenly want to use a Nikkon camera, eat at IHOP and shop at Sears. Hmmm. I wonder why that is?

RECOMMENDATION:
Things go boom better on big screen
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
This is the End; Much Ado About Nothing

No comments: