Saturday, January 28, 2012

Film: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy






GENRE:
Drama/Mystery
RATING:
R for violence, language, sexuality/language
RUNTIME:
2 hour and 7 minutes
STARRING: Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight, Book of Eli)
Colin Firth (King’s Speech) Tom Hardy (Inception, Dark Knight Rises)

DIRECTOR:
Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In – 2008 version)
WRITERS:
Bridget O’Connor (newcomer), Peter Straughan (The Debt)
PLOT:
An espionage veteran is tasked with uncovering a Soviet agent within Britain’s MI6.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:

1
Maybe my brain just wasn’t in the mood to work but I was kind of confused for the first third of the film. I eventually caught on but found the ending unsatisfying. It doesn’t help that a character’s name is Control. I thought it was a group of people instead of an individual.
2
Oldman may have gotten the Oscar nomination, but it was Hardy that impressed me. Oldman does a great British accent and is quite stoic and all but I found he barely moved his mouth. Hardy was entertaining and a treat to watch.
3
Apparently spying during the Cold War involved a lot of looking out windows. A quarter of the movie is spent with people looking out windows either to remember a flashback or spy from above.
4
The pace of this film is deathly slow. Definitely not a late night recommendation.
5
I did enjoy the vibrant wallpaper used in this film. I haven’t seen such interesting wall decoration since Lucky Number Slevin.

RECOMMENDATION:
DVD
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
The Artist

No comments: