Monday, January 09, 2012

Awards: The Golden Globes






The Golden Globes are this Sunday. I’m hoping for another year of Ricky Gervais and his biting comedy and some fun drunken speeches. Again the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is made up of less than 100 people who just want to mingle with celebrities (as Gervais pointed out last year with the laughable nomination of
The Tourist to entice Depp & Jolie to attend). So take at as you will: a back slapping session of the Hollywood elite. It’s not Oscars but that’s okay. Here are my predictions:
Best Motion Picture - Drama
The Descendants; The Help; Hugo; The Ides of March; Moneyball; War Horse
Who I Think Will Win
: The Descendants
Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs); Viola Davis (The Help); Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo); Meryl Streep (Iron Lady); Tilda Swinton (We Need to Talk About Kevin)
Who I Think Will Win
: Viola Davis (The Help)
Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
George Clooney (The Descendants); Leonardo diCaprio (J Edgar); Michael Fassbender (Shame); Ryan Gosling (The Ides of March); Brad Pitt (Moneyball)
Who I Think Will Win
: George Clooney (The Descendants)
Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
50/50; The Artist; Bridesmaids; Midnight in Paris; My Week With Marilyn
Who I Think Will Win
: The Artist
Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Jodie Foster (Carnage); Charlize Theron (Young Adult); Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids); Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn); Kate Winslet (Carnage)
Who I Think Will Win: Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn)
Best Actor in Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Jean Dujardin (The Artist); Brendan Gleeson (The Guard); Joseph Gordon-Levitt (50/50); Ryan Gosling (Crazy, Stupid Love); Owen Wilson (Midnight in Paris)
Who I Think Will Win: Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Berenice Bejo (The Artist); Jessica Chastain (The Help); Janet McTeer (Albert Nobbs); Octavia Spencer (The Help); Shailene Woodley (The Descendants)
Who I Think Will Win: Shailene Woodley (The Descendants)
Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Kenneth Branagh (My Week With Marilyn); Albert Brooks (Drive); Jonah Hill (Moneyball); Viggo Mortensen (A Dangerous Method); Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Who I Think Will Win: Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Best Animated Feature Film
The Adventures of Tintin; Arthur Christmas; Cars 2; Puss in Boots; Rango
Who I Think Will Win: The Adventures of Tintin
Best Foreign Language Film
The Flowers of War (China); In the Land of Bees and Honey (USA); The Kid with a Bike (Belgium); A Separation (Iran); The Skin I Live In (Spain)
Who I Think Will Win: A Separation (Iran)
Best Director – Motion Picture
Woody Allen (Midnight in Paris); George Clooney (The Ides of March); Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist); Alexander Payne (The Descendants); Martin Scorsese (Hugo)
Who I Think Will Win: Alexander Payne (The Descendants)
Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
The Artist; The Descendants; The Ides of March; Midnight in Paris; Moneyball
Who I Think Will Win: Moneyball
Best Original Score – Motion Picture
The Artist; W.E.; The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo; Hugo; War Horse
Who I Think Will Win: Hugo
Best Original Song – Motion Picture
“Hello Hello” (Gnomeo & Juliet – Elton John); “The Keeper” (Machine Gun Preacher – Chris Cornell); “Lay Your Head Down” (Albert Nobbs – Glenn Close); “The Living Proof” (The Help – Mary J Blige); “Masterpiece” (W.E. – Madonna)
Who I Think Will Win: “Lay Your Head Down” (Albert Nobbs – Glenn Close)
Best Television Series – Drama
American Horror Story; Boardwalk Empire; Boss; Game of Thrones; Homeland
Who I Think Will Win: Game of Thrones
Best Actress in a Television Series – Drama
Claire Danes (Homeland); Mireille Enos (The Killing); Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife); Madeleine Stowe (Revenge); Callie Thorne (Necessary Roughness)
Who I Think Will Win: Claire Danes (Homeland)
Best Actor in a Television Series – Drama
Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire); Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad); Kelsey Grammar (Boss); Jeremy Irons (The Borgias); Damian Lewis (Homeland)
Who I Think Will Win: Damain Lewis (Homeland)
Best Television Series – Comedy
Enlightened; Episodes; Glee; Modern Family; New Girl
Who I Think Will Win: Modern Family
Best Actress in a Television Series – Comedy
Laura Dern (Enlightened); Zooey Deschanel (New Girl); Tina Fey (30 Rock); Laura Linney (The Big C); Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)
Who I Think Will Win: Zooey Deschanel (New Girl)
Best Actor in a Television Series – Comedy
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock); David Duchovny (Californication); Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory); Thomas Jane (Hung); Matt LeBlanc (Episodes)
Who I Think Will Win: Matt LeBlanc (Episodes)
Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series
Jessica Lange (American Horror Story); Kelly MacDonald (Boardwalk Empire); Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey); Sofia Vergara (Modern Family); Evan Rachel Wood (Mildred Pierce)
Who I Think Will Win: Jessica Lange (American Horror Story)
Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series
Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones); Paul Giamatti (Too Big to Fail); Guy Pearce (Mildred Pierce); Tim Robbins (Cinema Verite); Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)
Who I Think Will Win: Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones)
Best Mini-Series or TV Movie
Cinema Verite; Downton Abbey; The Hour; Mildred Pierce; Too Big To Fail
Who I Think Will Win: Downton Abbey
Best Actress in a Mini-Series or TV Movie
Romola Garai (The Hour); Diane Lane (Cinema Verite); Elzabeth McGovern (Downton Abbey); Emily Watson (Appropriate Adult); Kate Winslet (Mildred Pierce)
Who I Think Will Win: Kate Winslet (Mildred Pierce)
Best Actor in a Mini-Series or TV Movie
Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey); Idris Elba (Luther); William Hurt (Too Big To Fail); Bill Nighy (Page Eight); Dominic West (The Hour)
Who I Think Will Win: Dominic West (The Hour)
Let’s see how I do this year.

No comments: