Sunday, September 25, 2011

Film: Contagion






GENRE:
Drama/Thriller
RATING:
PG13 for disturbing content and language
RUNTIME:
1 hours and 46 minutes
STARRING: Kate Winslet (The Reader, Titanic, Mildred Pierce) Jude Law (Sherlock Holmes), Matt Damon (The Adjustment Bureau)
DIRECTOR:
Steven Soderbergh (Traffic, Ocean’s Eleven)
WRITER:
Scott Z Burns (The Informant!, Bourne Ultimatum)
PLOT:
An outbreak of a deadly disease spreads as the CDC tries to find a cure.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1
Watching the spread of a virus is quite eerie. Soderbergh does a good job of showing the global impact and all the lives at stake. It’s a lot of info in the beginning but it sets the scene for what is to come.
2
Lots of TV and film actors in this film. I think almost every network and basic cable channel is represented. It’s like a Poseidon Adventure with all the inevitable deaths. Fun to see everyone involved though.
3
I don’t know what it is but I just don’t like Laurence Fishburne. I stopped watching CSI when he joined (watching again with Ted Danson in charge). He’s a good actor and picks some great roles (The Matrix), but there’s just something about him that rubs me the wrong way. I’m just sayin’.
4
With a virus epidemic and shortage of medicine, rioting ensues. After the Vancouver riots and London riots, I’m pretty tired of riots. I always get disgusted with humanity when I see that crap happen.
5
Its hard not to leave the theatre slightly affected. You start watching people coughing and praying they don’t touch something like a door with their infected hand. I’m not too germ conscious but I admit that I put some Purell on my hands once I got to the car. I guess it was an effective movie.

RECOMMENDATION: Watch the DVD
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
Moneyball

No comments: