Monday, September 07, 2009

TV: Summer Viewing

Summer is over. I saw some movies and wrote some reviews. You may be asking, “What about television?” Well, now it’s time to switch gears back to my addiction to the tube. Before I begin reviewing the new season, I thought I would quickly reflect on my summer television viewing. While most people use the summer break to catch up on reading and stuff, I like to catch up on television shows I may have missed, as well as revisit some quality shows, mostly to expose my new wife to exceptional television. Here’s the reviews in a nutshell:

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4
4 Didn't like Baltar’s story that much. Loved Adama’s however.
4 The mutiny two-part episode was riveting. May be best eps ever.
4 These guys know how to end a series. Classy.

Breaking Bad: Season 1 & 2
4 You won’t think Bryan Cranston = Malcom in the Middle dad again
4 Aaron Paul practically steals the whole show as Jesse Pinkman
4 Beautiful cinematography in some of the episodes.

The Big Bang Theory: Season 1 & 2
4 A lot funnier than I thought it would be. The premise actually works.
4 Jim Parsons is frickin’ hilarious. Amazing work.
4 Don’t need the love story but I can see why the producers do.

Friday Night Lights: Season 1, 2 & 3
4 I haven’t been this surprised with liking a series since West Wing
4 Season 1 & 3 are fantastic. Season 2 is terrible. Nice comeback.
4 Finally a realistic married couple on TV. Good job Taylors!

John Adams: Mini-series
4 Paul Giamatti is brilliant. So is Tom Wilkinson.
4 It’s nice to learn some history while being entertained
4 A little too much on his later life, the early is life is better.

Weeds: Season 5
4 This show is getting more and more ludicrous with each episode.
4 I have a hard time rooting for a such a terrible mother. So annoying.

4 I’m hoping the cliffhanger has them move again next season

Entourage: Season 6
4 This season is more on the entourage than Vince. Not sure about it.
4 Eric’s wishy-washiness with women is pretty annoying this season.
4 Ari and Drama’s storylines are pretty good this time out.

ReWatched Damages: Season 1 & 2
4 Great storytelling with many twists and turns to keep you guessing.

ReWatched Mad Men: Season 1 & 2
4 Such an intelligent and subtle show. Enjoying Season 3 so far.

ReWatched Dead Like Me: Season 1 & 2
4 Fun look at death, though they revisit some themes a little too often

And there you have it. That was my summer viewing. Coming very soon is my fall TV schedule as well as reviews of the some of the new shows debuting in a couple weeks. As a heads up, you might want to check out Glee. Not sure yet if it’s worth all the hype, but I’ll be giving it a chance.

2 comments:

Mel said...

All my thoughts...
i think entourage is great this season! Well sloan and erics whole thing is getting a bit annoying; we know they'll be together, and ashley is way too young for him...but Vince is the most boring anyways so its nice to take a break from him.

I just discovered Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia. is that on your fall to-watch list? I have one more season to go before the season 5 premiere.

Big bang is great, im just upset they separated it from HIMYM on mondays. I really dont care to watch another Jenna Elfman show.

I saw some of Southland - thought it was ok but the characters were unlikable in the Pilot. I see its premiering on a friday. I thought this was NBC's new anchor!?
maybe ill watch Trauma instead, but that is on busy Monday. Well, not that thursday is any better - NBC has a good 2 hours of solid funny (assuming comminity is good)

Oh, check out dexter. you have to.

Glee was great, a bit choppy on the camera work. Also i dont know if they can live up to the Journey song on the preview. How can they keep getting better? I like the casting of jane lynch and that other female teacher (liked her in heroes) but jane lynch is now going to be replaced by Megan Mullally on Party Down. I really liked Lynch in party down, but ill still watch. Check it out if you've never seen it - its like a veronica mars reunion every ep.


Alllsooo
my blog reader is white background and your lettering in Yellow doesnt read so well! I guess ill have to live with it...

nate said...

i really want to watch breaking bad!