Thursday, September 17, 2009

2009 Emmy Awards, Part II

Emmys are this weekend. I’m overjoyed to have Neil Patrick Harris hosting the festivies, especially after last year’s abysmal reality show host debacle. Last weekend they did the Creative Arts Emmys. For my five categories here’s what happened: 30 Rock beat How I Met Your Mother in Picture Editing, Coke’s Heist commercial beat out Hulu and United States of Tara won Main Titles which I’m not too sad about. I am pleased to announce that Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog won for Outstanding Special Class Media. Finally an Emmy for Joss Whedon. What I found odd about the Creative Emmy results is that there was no mention for Outstanding Music & Lyrics. Maybe 'Motherlover' will be sung this Sunday. Who knows?

Just like precvious years, here are my predictions for Sunday’s Emmys. Again, I play to win but am happy if the one ‘I want to win’ takes the statue. Also, I don’t predict mini-series but if you’re a gambler, put your money on HBO’s
Little Dorritt. Here now are the fearless predictions:

Drama Series
Big Love / Breaking Bad / Damages / Dexter / House / Mad Men / Lost
4Who I think will win: Mad Men (shocked if they lose)
4Who I want to win: Breaking Bad (compelling season)
4Who I don’t want to win: Big Love (don’t watch the show)

Comedy Series
Entourage / Family Guy / Flight of the Conchords / How I Met Your Mother / The Office / 30 Rock / Weeds
4Who I think will win: 30 Rock (Critics still love this show)
4Who I want to win: The Office (Still funnier than 30 Rock)
4Who I don’t want to win: Weeds (It’s on the decline)

Variety, Music or Comedy Series
The Colbert Report / The Daily Show with Jon Stewart / Late Show with David Letterman / Real Time with Bill Maher / SNL
4Who I think will win: The Colbert Report (He went to Iraq. C’mon!)
4Who I want to win: The Colbert Report (It’s his time)
4Who I don’t want to win: Real Time with Bill Maher (Don’t like him)

Reality - Competition Program
The Amazing Race / American Idol / Dancing with the Stars / Project Runway / Top Chef
4Who I think will win: Amazing Race (Keep the streak alive!)
4Who I want to win: Amazing Race (Still rocks)
4Who I don’t want to win: American Idol (Too much of a sellout)

Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Breaking Bad Bryan Cranston as Walt White / Dexter Michael C Hall as Dexter Morgan / House Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House / In Treatment Gabriel Byrne as Paul / Mad Men Jon Hamm as Don Draper / The Mentalist Simon Baker as Patrick Jane
4Who I think will win: Jon Hamm (Won't lose to Cranston this year)
4Who I want to win: Hugh Laurie (I like his speeches)
4Who I don’t want to win: Simon Baker (Others are more deserving)

Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Brothers & Sisters Sally Field as Nora Walker / The Closer Kyra Sedjwick as Brenda Johnson / Damages Glenn Close as Patty Hewes / Law & Order: SVU Mariska Hargitay as Olivia Benson / Mad Men Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson / Saving Grace Holly Hunter as Grace Hanadarko
4Who I think will win: Glenn Close (She rocks Damages)
4Who I want to win: Glenn Close (I like Elisabeth Moss too)
4Who I don’t want to win: Sally Field (She's won too often)

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
The Big Bang Theory Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper / Flight of the Conchords Jermaine Clement as Jermaine / Monk Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk / The Office Steve Carell as Michael Scott / 30 Rock Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy / Two and A Half Men Charlie Sheen as Charlie Harper
4Who I think will win: Jim Parsons (hilarious)
4Who I want to win: Jim Parson (Bath Gift episode is genuius)
4Who I don’t want to win: Tony Shalhoub (Please, no)

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
The New Adventures of Old Christine Julia Louise Dreyfus as Christine Campell / Samantha Who? Christina Applegate as Samantha Newly / The Sarah Silverman Program Sarah Silverman as Sarah Silverman / 30 Rock Tina Fey as Liz Lemon / United States of Tara Toni Collette as Tara Gregson / Weeds Mary Louise Parker as Nancy Botwin
4Who I think will win: Tina Fey (Still the funniest)
4Who I want to win: Tina Fey (Keep the awards coming)
4Who I don’t want to win: Julia Louise Dreyfus (No reason)

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Boston Legal William Shatner as Denny Crane / Boston Legal Christian Clemenson as Jerry Espenson / Breaking Bad Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman / Damages William Hurt as Daniel Purcell / Lost Michael Emerson as Benjamin Linus / Mad Men John Slattery as Roger Sterling
4Who I think will win: William Shatner (Voters are stupid sometimes)
4Who I want to win: Aaron Paul (He was amazing this season)
4Who I don’t want to win: Boston Legal guys (The show has run its course)

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Damages Rose Byrne as Ellen Parsons / Grey’s Anatomy Chandra Wilson as Dr. Miranda Bailey / Grey’s Anatomy Sandra Oh as Christina Yang / In Treatment Dianne Wiest as Dr. Gina Toll / In Treatment Hope Davis as Mia / 24 Cherry Jones as President Taylor
4Who I think will win: Dianne Wiest (She’s a seasoned actress)
4Who I want to win: Rose Byrne (Only show I watch)
4Who I don’t want to win: Don’t really care

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Entourage Kevin Dillon as Johnny Drama / How I Met Your Mother Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson / The Office Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute / 30 Rock Jack McBrayer as Kenneth Parcell / 30 Rock Tracey Morgan as Tracey Jordan / Two and a Half Men Jon Cryer as Alan Harper
4Who I think will win: Tracey Morgan (This category is wide open)
4Who I want to win: Neil Patrick Harris (He deserves it more)
4Who I don’t want to win: Jon Cryer (Too whiny)

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Pushing Daisies Kristin Chenoweth as Olive Snook / SNL Amy Poehler as Performer / SNL Kristin Wiig as Performer / 30 Rock Jane Krakowski as Jenna Maroney / Ugly Betty Vanessa Williams as Wilhelmina Slater / Weeds Elizabeth Perkins as Celia Hodes
4Who I think will win: Amy Poehler (Long overdue)
4Who I want to win: Kristin Wiig or Chenoweth (Both are hilarious)
4Who I don’t want to win: Vanessa Williams (Don’t like her)

Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series
The Colbert Report / Daily Show with Jon Stewart / Late Night with Conan O’Brien / Late Show with David Letterman / SNL
4Who I think will win: The Daily Show (It’s the most topical)
4Who I want to win: Colbert Report (I just want him to win more)
4Who I don’t want to win: I like all the shows this year

Writing for a Drama Series
Lost The Incident / Mad Men A Night to Remember / Mad Men Six Month Leave / Mad Men The Jet Set / Mad Men Meditations in an Emergency
4Who I think will win: The Jet Set (Some reason critics like this one)
4Who I want to win: A Night to Remember (Much better episode)
4Who I don’t want to win: The Jet Set (I think it’s the weakest one)

Writing for a Comedy Series
Flight of the Conchords Prime Minister / 30 Rock Renuion / 30 Rock Apollo, Apollo / 30 Rock Mamma Mia / 30 Rock Kidney Now!
4Who I think will win: Apollo, Apollo (Lots of nominations)
4Who I want to win: Prime Minister (Sometimes like the upset)
4Who I don’t want to win: I like all the episodes

Directing for a Drama Series
Battlestar Galactica Daybreak / Boston Legal Last Call / Damages Trust Me / ER And in the End / Mad Men The Jet Set
4Who I think will win: The Jet Set (More for Mad Men)
4Who I want to win: Daybreak (Solid season ender)
4Who I don’t want to win: Last Call (It's won enough stuff)

Directing for a Comedy Series
Entourage Tree Trippers / Flight of the Cochords The Tough Brets / The Office Stress Relief / 30 Rock Apollo, Apollo / 30 Rock Reunion / 30 Rock Generalissimo
4Who I think will win: Apollo, Apollo (They like this for some reason)
4Who I want to win: Stress Relief (For the opening sequence alone)
4Who I don’t want to win: Generalissimo (Too slap-sticky)

Let’s see how I do on Sunday. I’ll give the results shortly thereafter.

No comments: