Tuesday, September 08, 2009

TV: Fall TV Preview

And away we go . . .
NEW SHOWS (HOPEFULS) These are the shows I’ll try for a few weeks. I haven’t been able to preview all of them yet. These are merely guesses.
GLEE Premiere: Wednesday, Sept. 9; 9:00pm on FOX Premise: A beloved teacher revives a glee club full of loner students. Pedigree: Created by Ryan Murphy (Nip/Tuck; Popular) What looks good: The singing does sound good. Jane Lynch is pretty funny. Why I’m worried: How far can the premise go? I know nothing about glee clubs. Also, Fox has spent too much time hyping this show. Don’t count your chickens...
COMMUNITY Premiere: Thursday, Sept 17; 9:30pm on NBC Premise: A lawyer with a revoked degree returns to community college Pedigree: Created by Dan Harmon (Sarah Silverman Show; Monster House) What looks good: Joel McHale (The Soup) is quick and sharp. Some great one-liners. Reminds me of the movie Van Wilder. Why I’m worried: Hope I care about the characters. Chevy Chase could get annoying.
BORED TO DEATH Premiere: Sunday, Sept 20; 9:30pm on HBO Premise: A struggling writer reinvents himself as a private detective. Pedigree: Stars Jason Schwartzman (Rushmore) What looks good: Ted Danson (Cheers) and Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover) also star. Those three actors alone make this show worth watching Why I’m worried: Not enough people have heard about it, meaning low ratings may sink this comedic ship.
COUGAR TOWN Premiere: Wednesday, Sept 23; 9:30pm on ABC Premise: A 40-year-old divorcee tries to reenter the dating game. Pedigree: Created by Bill Lawrence (Scrubs, Spin City) What looks good: This looks like a fun role for Courtney Cox. I trust the comedy of Bill Lawrence. Great supporting cast too. Why I’m worried: The cougar angle has been overdone. I should note that the town in which they live have a football team called The Cougars. Maybe it will focus more on them. Doubt it though.
FLASH FORWARD Premiere: Thursday, Sept 24; 8:00pm on ABC Premise: Everyone blacks out and sees their future. Pedigree: Created by David S Goyer (Batman Begins, Dark Knight writer) What looks good: A lot of people are comparing the intensity to Lost. Great cast and interesting story. Why I’m worried: How long can this story last? How long will it take to get to their vision of the future?
THE MIDDLE Premiere: Wednesday, Sept 30; 8:30pm on ABC Premise: Basically Malcom in the Middle from the mother’s point of view. Pedigree: Eileen Heisler and DeAnn Heline worked on How I Met Your Mother What looks good: I like Neil Flynn (Janitor on Scrubs). Why I’m worried: Hoping it’s not too sappy. Or that it tries to hard to be like Malcom in the Middle. NEW SHOWS (NO THANKS) These are shows I’m most likely not going to watch for some reason or other. Here are some of the reasons. Accidentally on Purpose: Jenna Elfman? No thanks. The Beautiful Life: I storingly dislike Mischa Barton. Brothers: Seems like a mixture of sappy and sass. The Cleveland Show: Enough seth McFarland please. Eastwick: The movie didn’t work for me. I doubt the show would. The Forgotten: No more crime procedurals for me. The Good Wife: Don’t like the cast. The plot looks boring. Hank: Kelsey Grammer just keeps playing Frasier with different names. Melrose Place: Didn’t watch the original. Don’t care to now. Mercy: Looks an awful lot like Grey’s Anatomy. Pass. Modern Family: Too many documetary style shows already. NCIS: Los Angeles: Didn’t watch the original. Too CSI-y Three Rivers: Looks mind-numbingly boring Trauma: No more medical shows. House is enough for me. Vampire Diaries: Talk about jumping on the Twilight bandwagon. RETURNING SHOWS These are shows I’m still watching this year. Here are the reasons.
Simpsons (21st Season): It’s still funny after all these years. Family Guy (8th Season): Star Wars parodies alone are worth it. Curb Your Enthusiasm (7th Season): Seinfeld is reunited. Can’t wait. Mad Men (3rd Season): Such a well written show. Captivating. Amazing Race (14th Season): There’s a reason it wins awards. Dexter (4th Season): Wonder how the baby will change Dexter. Entourage (6th Season): Sick of Eric, love the rest. How I Met Your Mother (5th Season): NPH. Need I say more? House (6th Season): Still formula but still worth watching. 2½ Men (7th Season): The laughs keep coming. Big Bang Theory (3rd Season): Not just for geeks. Very funny. SNL Thursdays (2nd Season): Love the Weekend Updates. Parks & Recreation (2nd Season): The show is growing on me. Fast. The Office (6th Season): Wonder how the marriage will affect the show. Fringe (2nd Season): They introduced some pretty cool things last season. Smallville (9th Season): Could this season finally be the end? Dollhouse (2nd Season): Let’s see Joss earn his stay of execution. RETURNING SHOWS (NO THANKS) These are shows I’m tired of and therefore letting go from my schedule.
American Dad: Sunday night is just too busy for this Heroes: I’m sick of the lazy writing. Only the first season is good. CSI: Don’t like Laurence Fishburne.
THE FALL SCHEDULE Here’s my geeky colour-coded fall schedule. Sunday also includes Family Guy and Entourage but they will have to be taped due to the busy-ness of the night. Sunday is the only night with conflicts. It will be nice to have a break on Tuesday this year. Of course, the schedule will change around a bunch in October with new shows, returning shows and cancelled shows messing everything up. October brings us 30 Rock, Nip/Tuck and Friday Night Lights. We’ll see where eveything slots in at that time. Till then though, here’s my TV schedule.



There you have it. My next posts will be about the Emmy Awards and the Fall/Winter Movie Preview. Stay Tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.