Sunday, December 31, 2006

Top Ten of 2006

It that time again for the end of the year lists. As I look back on the films and television shows I’ve watched over the last 365 days, it occurs to me that I’ve seen some pretty good stuff. I found it hard to leave certain films and shows off my list this year because a lot of them still had some great moments. I wish I could fit Blood Diamond and Talledega Nights into my best movies or Arrested Development and Entourage into my top TV picks; although, it’s not like I had sleepless nights over it. So here it is, based on what I’ve seen this year, my top ten lists.

Top Ten Films of 2006
(instead of repeating myself, just go
to the link for my longer previous posts)

1. Thank You for Smoking
“Aaron Eckhart is one slick guy. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, but this guy could sure convince me otherwise.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/07/best-so-far.html

2. Stranger Than Fiction
“I could see myself applauding an epic or action-packed movie as fantastic but what Stranger Than Fiction is missing in panoramic battles and explosions, it makes up for with subtlety and brilliance.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/11/stranger-than-fiction.html

3. The Departed
“Apart from the fantastic acting, the cat and mouse storyline is compelling and inventive. I love how one reviewer called it Goodfellas with cell phones. Never has text messaging been so spine-tingling.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/10/departed.html

4. United 93
“Going in I thought the film would be manipulative and accusatory but was pleasantly shocked to find it was anything but.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/07/best-so-far.html

5. Borat
Borat: Cultural Learnings of America to Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan is one of the funniest movies of the year. Even the full title makes me chuckle. As most critics will agree, Borat is like Spinal Tap mixed with Andy Kaufman and sprinkled with Jackass.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/11/borat.html

6. Little Miss Sunshine
“The travel time in the VW bus is filled with wonderful moments that are both eccentric and relatable. But the big pay-off comes at the beauty pageant where the audience is faced with images that are satirical, hysterical and just plain creepy.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/08/little-miss-sunshine.html

7. Apocalypto
Apocalypto features one of the best chase sequences I have ever seen. Of course, with Mel Gibson comes brutal torture scenes and extreme violence. It’s not for the squeamish.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/12/movie-onslaught-part-i_26.html

8. Mission: Impossible III
“I found M:I III to be what an episode of Alias would be like, if Abrams had an unlimited budget.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/07/mission-impossible-iii.html

9. Lucky Number Slevin
“Talk about slick. A fun story told from various perspectives and played by actors who are clearly having a fun time engaging in the punchy dialogue.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/07/best-so-far.html

10. V for Vendetta
V was very stylish and well done but I was hoping for a bit more humour and a better ending than the one ruined by advertisements for the movie.”
http://popculturepusher.blogspot.com/2006/07/best-so-far.html

Top Ten Television Shows of 2006

1. Lost
I know people feel frustrated that this show doesn’t answer all your questions, but to me, that’s what makes the series so engrossing. The hatch, the numbers, the wheelchair, the black smoke, the toes; I can’t wait to see what they’ll reveal next. And the opening minutes of season three? You can’t get better than that. We’ll have to see what unfolds this February.

2. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
So good I sometimes watch it three times a week. This show was made for me. The punchy dialogue, the clever stories, the behind-the-scenes politics, and the brilliant ensemble acting headed by Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford make this show a gem. Thank you Aaron Sorkin.

3. Heroes
I love how every episode ends with a “To Be Continued”; this beautifully shot and scripted comic book series is a never-ending story that keeps you guessing and enthralled. With clever marketing slogans like “Save the Cheerleader, Save the World” and “Are you on the list?” this smart show manages to bring in new viewers every week. It’s also nice to see another large diverse cast on television.

4. The Office
This show brings tears to my eyes. The side-splitting awkward moments created by this stellar cast are a joy to watch week after week. Steve Carrell continues to shine and even gets to play more now that Daily Show alum Ed Helms has joined the cast as a thorn in Dwight’s side. The way the writers have handled not only Jim & Pam’s storyline, but also the influx of new characters, is nothing short or extraordinary.

5. Scrubs
After six years, this show still manages to be inventive and touching at the same time. A fun cast with sharp comedic timing and even sharper physical comedy is all you need for a sitcom to work, but Bill Lawrence gives us even more each week. I can even forgive John C. McGinley's awful hair this season, the comedy is just that good.

6. Veronica Mars
This show has done a wonderful job easing those who were addicted to Joss Whedon’s Buffy universe. This smartly written multiple mystery show continues to inject a nice dose of sass into my viewing schedule. While season two was mildly confusing despite its great pay-off, this season’s mini-mysteries have kept me in the loop and kept my brain working overtime on Tuesday nights.

7. 24
While I admit that I liked season four of the Jack Bauer action series better, season five was definitely no slouch. It was a well-mapped season that elicited many different emotions. President Logan made me cringe, Edgar brought a tear to my eye. I’m looking forward to the next season and seeing who Jack will torture next.

8. How I Met Your Mother
This show is legendary! The entertaining relationship stories are intricately woven by a fun relatable group of characters. And while Neil Patrick Harris suits up and steals the show, the other cast members are still given inventive situations to get big laughs. Robin’s cheesy Canadain eighties music video still makes me giggle.

9. Prison Break
It’s not as fun now that they are on the outside, but I am still intrigued about where this show is headed. As allegiances switch and people are gunned down, every week brings a new wrinkle to the plot that keeps me watching.

10. The Colbert Report
The Daily Show is funny, but Steven Colbert is hysterical as a vain, snobbish pundit who delivers his side of the news each night. Colbert’s reaction to his snubbing at the Emmy awards is all the proof you need. Even his roasting of Bush (in character) at a presidential dinner was considered one of the eight great moment this year according to the American Film Institute.

So there you go; my top ten of 2006. Feel free to tell me yours in the comment section. I would love to read them (and mock them).

1 comment:

beim said...

Studio 60 is my "can't miss"...i love it every time; i look forward to it every week and haven't been disappointed.

i faithfully watch Amazing Race, even after the horrendous "Family Race" last year.

And I'll always watch Lettermen over Leno. Always.