Monday, October 09, 2006

The Departed

Go see The Departed. The only reason not to see this film is if you have an aversion to violence. This film is gritty and raw but it does not seem out of place considering the subject matter. But what else would you expect form Martin Scorsese? This film has the panache of Goodfellas with even better acting. In fact, if this film doesn’t get a slew of Oscar nominations, I will be dumbfounded. Scorsese has been robbed of the Best Director statue in the past (he should have gotten it for Raging Bull), but it will be a true crime if he is denied the trophy this year. I was riveted, engrossed and not at all bothered by the two and half hour running time. This film has everything going for it.

I know people like to knock down Leonardo DiCaprio because of his pretty-boy turn in Titanic, but this guy can act. Before the film, I saw a preview of DiCaprio’s next film The Blood Diamond, and was blown away at how he is able to change his accent. In The Departed, Leo plays a Boston cop who is sent undercover to infiltrate Jack Nicholson’s mob. His moral dilemmas and constant fear are perfectly played in each scene. If you doubt DiCaprio’s chops, rent What’s Eating Gilbert Grape and see how great an actor he really is.

Matt Damon is starting to grow on me. Admittedly, I am one of the three people in North America who hated his roles in Good Will Hunting and The Talented Mr. Ripley. Legend of Bagger Vance didn’t win any points with me either. But with Dogma, Bourne Identity and Ocean’s Eleven, Matt Damon is shaping up to be a another great actor who should not be ignored. Damon is compelling in The Departed playing a mob soldier in a cop uniform. His intensity and two-facedness is a treat to watch.

Jack Nicholson is Jack Nicholson. Roles are written specifically for him. And I sometimes don’t think that’s a bad thing. I love watching Jack play. He’s both chilling and humourous all at the same time. Nobody does it better than Jack.

The cast is rounded out with some stellar acting from Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Anderson and Martin Sheen. My goodness, the mouth on Wahlberg. His foul vulgar-strewn tear down of diCaprio almost made me wince with its amount of profanity. But then again, I once worked in a warehouse, so it seemed to fit all the same. The only poor performance in this film is done by the only lead female in the cast, Vera Farmiga. She does not possess the skills to hold her own in scenes between Damon or diCaprio. This is a job better suited for Scarlett Johansson.

Apart from the fantastic acting, the cat and mouse storyline is compelling and inventive. I love how one reviewer called it Goodfellas with cell phones. Never has text messaging been so spine-tingling. I remember when I was watching Daniel Day-Lewis’ brilliant portrayal of Bill the Butcher in Scorsese’s Gangs of New York, I took note of Lewis’ breathing. Even his breathing was in character. In one gripping scene of The Departed, the breathing over a cell phone speaks volumes and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

In closing, watch this film. In the movie theatre. Now. It’s definitely in my top three, if not my number one movie this year (I’ll make that decision in December). And a note to Martin Scorsese, you should be working on your acceptance speech.

No comments: