Tuesday, October 10, 2006

New Show Update

Now that we’re fully into the new TV season, here’s my update on how the new shows are doing.

Shows You Should Be Watching
It’s a known fact that networks are impatient. They want instant success or else they’ll yank the show before you can say goodbye. This is especially true for new shows. It is unfortunate that networks have not heard about word of mouth or letting a show gather a following. Do they not remember Cheers or Seinfeld? Both shows failed their first year and then went on to become the most recognized super sitcoms of this present age. The Office did poorly it’s first season to now become a hit on NBC. It took three years for 24 to become the powerhouse drama Fox hoped it would be. All I am saying is give new shows a chance.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip – I know a lot of people are watching but apparently not enough. It keeps losing to CSI: Miami. I hate that show. I hate David Curuso. I don’t know why Americans would prefer another procedural show instead of a witty, fast paced, intelligent drama by Aaron Sorkin. Because it airs on Sunday in Canada, I often find myself watching this show twice a week. And I don’t think I’m alone.

The Nine – I don’t understand what would keep people from turning the TV off after Lost instead of sticking around for one of the best new shows of the season. I loved the opening scene of Lost’s third season premiere, and don’t get me wrong, I also see the need for the inevitable “debriefing” after each episode but you gotta stick around for The Nine. It’s inventive, it’s mysterious, and it’s full of great characters played by great actors. Sound familiar? Don’t be left out of loop.

Heroes – Until 24 comes, there’s nothing else on at 9pm on Monday nights. It’s another great show with a large cast of colourful characters with incredible powers. And with this one, you know it’s not going to get yanked anytime soon since NBC has picked up the full first season (the first of any new series this fall). That kind of commitment has to say something.

Shows That Have Been Moved but Are Still Worth Watching

Justice – It’s fast and slick. That refers to the plot and Victor Garber’s lines. This show will be back in November and will be probably moved from it’s “opposite Lost” timeslot which is a relief. It’s a fun procedural without a serialized storyline. It helps take the pressure off.


Kidnapped – Because of poor ratings, NBC is moving this show to Saturday and making the producers wrap up the storyline in 13 episodes. At least the producers know this in advance (unlike Reunion’s fate last year) so expect a tight action-packed story. Also moving it to Saturday makes it easy to tape and watch later. I’m enjoying the show, I find the pace works well. NBC will probably re-air the first three episodes and then run down the series.


Show I’m Still Not Sure About

30 Rock – To be fair, I’ve only seen the pilot episode which was only so so. It seems to be in bad taste to start a sitcom with a major portion of it taking place in a strip club, but maybe that’s just me. Nevertheless, I’ll probably keep watching this show because I like the cleverness of Tina Fey and the hilarious line delivery of Alec Baldwin.

Shows I Tried and Gave Up On


Vanished – I didn’t care if the senator got his wife back. I found the dialogue cheesy and Rebecca Grayheart and Ming Na were a waste of airtime.

Six Degrees – I didn’t care about the characters or the coincidences. Apparently having JJ Abrams (Alias, Lost) as an executive producer doesn’t mean that much if he’s not writing it.

Jericho – Skeet Ulrich bothers me. I can’t stand him. The only intriguing character in this show is the black former cop who seems to know too much. Not intriguing enough, though.

Brothers and Sisters – Marti Noxon left, so did I. This show is too chick-flick for me despite its impressive cast.


Shark – I gave it an honest shot but it looks too much like House with lawyers. You have the grumpy guy with a soft heart teaching younger people how the world really works while barking orders at them. Not a fan of James Woods, don’t like is underlings. Like the daughter, but not nearly enough to stay.

Smith – I really wanted to like this show. I love heist films. Unfortunately, the cops and wife know too much already. Slow down the revelations. I’m obviously not alone, since Smith has already been yanked from the schedule.

Who will be the next to fall? Gotta prediction?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on The Nine and Heroes, but Studio 60 was a flop to begin with and the rating prove it.

Justice is okay, but I don't bother with it too much. Kidnapped just didn't entertain like I was hoping.

I like Six Degrees. Originally, I didn't think it would do well, but so far I find it entertaining.

Jerico is good, but they really need to put some reality too it. Sure it is SciFi, but if it is set in the present then it needs to play to present day understanding.

Shark was good at first, but now it is in the not worth setting the VCR/DVR mode.

All the others I never really have given them much of a try. I figured they weren't worth the effort to begin with.