Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2007 Movie Preview

Wanna know what’s coming out this year? Did some research and came up with a list of 25 films that I’m interested in seeing in 2007. My quick opinions are based solely on trailers, plot descriptions and director/actor pedigree. (All dates are tentative, especially the later ones).

1. Smokin’ Aces (Jan 26) – Looks like Slevin but more action-packed.
2. The Number 23 (Feb 23) – Jim Carrey looks creepy, hope it works
3. Zodiac (Mar 2) – Love David Fincher’s work, dark as it may be
4. 300 (Mar 9) – The trailer alone is worth ten bucks. You gotta see it!
5. Fast Track (Mar 9) – Zach Braff & Jason Bateman? I’m there!
6. Blades of Glory (Mar 30) – Will Ferrell & Jon Heder are figure skaters, ‘Nuff said.
7. Grindhouse (Apr 6) – Tarantino & Rodriguez double feature. Wowsers!
8. The TV Set (Apr 6) – Comedy about making a TV sitcom. It was made just for me.
9. Spiderman 3 (May 4) – I don’t think they can screw this up.
10. Pirates III (May 25) – I guess I should find out what happens next.
11. Knocked Up (June 1) – The 40 Year Old Virgin team on parenthood.
12. Ocean’s 13 (June 8) – Looks fun, but I also said that about Ocean’s 12.
13. Evan Almighty (June 22) – Steve Carrell builds an ark. Should be funny.
14. Ratatouille (June 29) – I’ll give Pixar the benefit of the doubt.
15. Transformers (July 4) – Michael Bay. Expolosions. Optimus Prime.
16. Harry Potter V (July 13) – The franchise is growing on me
17. I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (July 20) It’s Alexander Payne.
18. The Simpsons Movie (July 27) – Mmmmm, full length feature.
19. Rush Hour 3 (Aug 10) – Liked the first two, bring on the third
20. Fan Boys (Aug 17) – Star Wars geeks unite! Might suck, but I’ll go anyway.
21. Bee Movie (Nov 2) –Seinfeld writes and stars in this animated movie. I’ll bee there.
22. American Gangster (Nov 2) – Ridely Scott. Denzel Washington. Russell Crowe.
23. Fred Claus (Nov 9) – Vince Vaughn as Santa’s brother. Need I say more?
24. Beowulf (Nov 16) – Let’s see what Robert Zemekis can do with the story.
25. I Am Legend (Dec 14) – Will Smith is the last human alive in this sci-fi flick.

As with previous years, I assume many independent films will end up beating most of these big-budget flicks into my 2007 top tens, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Mike Perschon said...

You summed up my feelings on Pirates III exactly.

Blackout said...

Hey Mike,
Check out the trailer for Fan Boys. Am I wrong to want to see this movie? I need a second opinion.