Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The West Wing: Season One

I hope you’re happy. I just watched the entire first season of The West Wing in 2½ days. And now I have to watch the rest of them. I was planning on easing into a new TV season and now I’m playing catch up on a show that ended last year after seven seasons. I probably should have borrowed the first season at the beginning of the summer so I could be done by fall but I stupidly borrowed it on Saturday and gave it a try. And yes, I enjoyed it. And yes, I was still confused. And yes, I’m not the least bit surprised.

I wasn’t surprised at the quality of show. Like I have said before, I truly respect Aaron Sorkin’s work. I love his movies A Few Good Men and The American President and I adored his short-lived series Sports Night. (And by the way, all those people who have said I should watch The West Wing but haven’t bothered to pick up a copy of Sports Night should stop reading and go and watch Sorkin’s first TV series. C’mon, fair is fair.) I also wasn’t surprised that I couldn’t follow all the political stuff. To be honest, I had to turn on the English subtitles at points just to know what they were saying. I also wasn’t surprised at the acting talents of the cast. Martin Sheen and John Spencer were a given, and watching Bradley Whitford makes me want to see Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip all the more. So that was a bit of a surprise.

Okay, maybe a couple more things surprised me. I was impressed with Rob Lowe and Timothy Busfield. I assumed that Rob Lowe would get a huge role because of his previous feature film work, but was shocked to learn that he was only in communications and even an assistant at that. I never realized how charming and funny he could be. He also did a great job of saying ‘okay’ (which comes up a bit more frequently than the numerous “shut ups” from Toby). I also thoroughly enjoyed watching Timothy Busfield as Danny. He not only was great at giving sanctimonious speeches, but I loved his courtship of CJ. I’m very happy that he, too, will be joining Studio 60 in the fall. The last thing that shocked me was the amazing chemistry between Josh and Donna, which I already know escalates as the series goes on. I mean, you hear critics talk about it, but their repartee is so flirtatious and funny. I now understand what the critics have been going on about.

I only have two complaints for this first season of The West Wing. The first is the terrible casting of Moira Kelly. I am so glad she didn’t continue with the show. Her role was whiny and unnecessary, even if her memo was the catalyst that turned the show around. I just didn’t enjoy watching her on the screen and often wished that CJ would smack her. The other thing I didn’t like was the constant failure of the administration. How did these people get elected? How come they were always the last to know? They were always getting broad sided. It was also this middle of the road stuff that bothered me. That is why my favourite scene in season one is at the end of Let Bartlet be Bartlet. Not only did I love the blown-up argument between Leo and the president that had President Bartlet come to the realization, “This is more important than reelection. I want to speak now.” But I was actually moved by the rest of staff with their declaration, “I serve at the pleasure of the President.” That’s what I was waiting to hear from episode one, and am now looking forward to in the upcoming seasons. I want to see their passion, I want to see them take risks, I want to see at least one more episode with Jorja Fox (CSI) who plays Zoey’s bodyguard cuz I think she’s kinda hot. So I gotta get a hold of the second season of West Wing to find out who got shot. I hope you’re happy.

5 comments:

kmsqrd said...

Really, you can just watch the first four seasons and be happy.

Ned Noodle said...

I agree with kmsqrd, I started watching season five and it made me ill.

Ned Noodle said...

...but the first four seasons alone make West Wing one of my all time favourite shows.

Blackout said...

I heard that the sixth and especially seventh season were great with the intoduction of Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda. So I'll have to trudge through the 5th when the time comes. But thanks for the warning.

J & K said...

Happy for you - what a great show. We miss it. Will pick up Sports Night, fair is fair. Also, we finished season 2 of Lost - again, many thanks. Will return it to you tomorrow.

JW