Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Nacho Libre

I don’t think Jack Black can carry a movie. The one exception would be School of Rock but I think the kids are what made the movie so enjoyable. I think Jack Black is perfect in supporting roles; I’m thinking of films like Saving Silverman and Orange County. In those films, his manic personality is enjoyable in small spurts of lunacy. In films like Shallow Hal and Nacho Libre, his characters have to sustain themselves for a lot longer and therefore lose their steam pretty early on. I didn’t know what to expect from Nacho Libre. It was directed by Jared Hess, who helmed the catch-phrase heavy Napoleon Dynamite. I was expecting something quirky and ended up bored. I guess Jack Black and Jared Hess think Mexican wrestling is hilarious. I didn’t even find myself chuckling when it came to the actual fights. Not to say I didn’t laugh during the film, I think I laughed out loud about four or five times. But then again, most of the funny stuff was in the commercials. Maybe I’m too old for this type of humour. I recall that while enjoying Napoleon Dynamite, there were some times when I found myself cringing over laughing, especially when it came to Kip. When it comes to Napoleon, I think we all know of individuals who are like these sad people presented on the screen. In Nacho Libre, I couldn’t find one person who is at all relatable. So, for these reasons, I would say don’t bother with Nacho Libre. The 100 minute running time is too long for these mediocre pseudo-jokes. This film should have been made into a Saturday Night Live sketch, then it would be entertaining and possible even funny.

No comments: