Thursday, August 10, 2006

Superman Returns

This is the movie I was waiting for. Every year there is a summer blockbuster that I eagerly anticipate and this year it was Superman Returns. And with Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey together again (they worked together on The Ususal Suspects, one of my favourite films ever), how could this movie go wrong? I’ll admit that my expectations were pretty high for this film after hearing about it in the production stage for 10 years. And to my relief, Superman Returns did not disappoint. This movie rocked!

The casting was pitch-perfect in my opinion. I’m glad they got newcomer Brandon Routh to wear the Superman tights. I think a recognizable face would change our opinion of him, especially if he got in trouble with the media. Routh played both Superman and Clark Kent equally well, even channeling Christopher Reeve at times. Kate Bosworth did a fine job of Lois Lane, although she seemed a tad young (which is necessary for the inevitable sequels). And let’s face it, she is way hotter than Margot Kidder ever was. And what can I say about Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. He was fantastic! It was a perfect blend of humour, anger and smugness. I heard Roger Ebert say that Spacey couldn’t hold a candle to Gene Hackman’s Lex. Maybe it was his pain killers talking, but Hackman played Lex Luthor as a used car salesman in his stupid jackets and fake hair. Spacey was a treat to watch. But, I guess that will always be the fate of these types of movies, that never-ending comparison to the ones that preceded it. Just look at James Bond.

In supporting roles, Parker Posey is given a slew of great one-liners and Sean Huntington as Jimmy Olsen gives some great reactions to the drama happening all around him. I did feel bad for two characters in this film. The first is the very funny Kal Penn (Kumar from White Castle) who is pretty much mute in this movie. The second is James Marsters, who is again relegated to faithful boyfriend who is kicked aside so his girl and the hero can get together. First in X-Men, now in Superman, this guy is going to get a complex.

I loved the story of Superman Returns. It’s tough to tell a hero story without going heavily into the mythology. The writers do offer glimpses of Clark Kent’s past but the focus is on the present. As it should be. It’s more interesting trying to see Superman cope with the loss of Lois Lane and dealing with her precocious kid. I didn’t even mind the kid’s storyline as I can see it getting carried over to the next sequel. Some say Lex’s evil plan is unbelievable and stupid. I say it’s a comic book, so get over it.

The visual effects were stunning. Superman’s rescue of the airplane alone is worth the money to go see this film. My only warning is to avoid seeing this film in 3D. The handful of 3D action scenes almost ruined my first viewing of this movie. It definitely does not add to the movie in any way. I saw the film again on the regular big screen and was even more amazed at the scenes no longer in 3D. This is a must see movie. See this larger than life film on the big screen if you can. Superman Returns may not be the best film of the year, but it’s definitely in my top five.

1 comment:

Blackout said...

Cara, I'm sure that being a fan of the comic would help but it's still an enjoyable film. As long as people realize that this is a comic-book world and not real world, it should be fine.