Saturday, November 12, 2022

Film: Black Panther 2: Wakanda Forever

 

GENRE: Adventure Drama
RATING: PG-13 for violence and some language
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 41 minutes
PLATFORM: Movie Theatre
STARRING: Letitia Wright (Black Panther, Ready Player One)
Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave); Danai Guira (The Walking Dead)
DIRECTOR: Ryan Coogler (Creed, Fruitvale Station, Black Panther)
WRITERS: Coogler(Creed II) & Joe Robert Cole (Black Panther)
PLOT: Wakanda mourns the death of King T’Challa and needs to protect their home from outside forces.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My expectations were low.      

STORY STUFF: I was pretty bored. I think the film was very respectful to the late Chadwick Boseman but that’s about it for me. The problem with mourning is that it takes a long time. This film’s runtime is excruciating. I was also annoyed early on. A group of people want to kill a scientist for inventing something. Could they not just tell the scientist to stop – is murder the only option? Also, you can’t claim vibranium if the world doesn’t know who you are. Just say, “Hey, that’s mine.” Maybe that could reduce the bloodshed. Just a lot of extremes in this film that didn’t work for me in any way.  

ACTING STUFF: Letitia Wright is the saving grace of this film. She is captivating to watch, though she’s sad for a long time. I also liked Winston Duke taking on a bigger role this time around. And, not to sound racist, but I enjoyed the three white American government power players.

ARTISTIC STUFF: I was impressed with the set and costume design like I did last time. The rest seemed copied from other films. Blue water people – looks like Avatar. Fighting under the sea – looks like Aquaman. Blue people’s greeting – looks like Pokemon. A new power suit – looks like Iron Man. I wonder if this film will get charged with plagiarism. Oh, and there is only one post-credit sequence; no need to sit through all the names after being in the theatre for three hours.    

VERDICT: One star out of five
SEE IT IF: You want to say goodbye to Chadwick Boseman on film.
UPCOMING REVIEW:  Blonde, Don’t Worry Darling

No comments: