Friday, September 30, 2022

September TV Checklist

 

Here’s what I was watching this September. Some high quality productions but I wish the epic fantasy shows were more spread out during the year instead of all on top of each other. That’s a lot of sword play for a month. Anyway, here are the shows:

HOUSE OF THE DRAGON (HBO)
I was skeptical about this Game of Thrones prequel. Didn’t think it was needed. I am actually one of the few that didn’t really have a problem with the final season of Thrones. However, Dragon has laid out some interesting characters that love to scheme. I am enjoying the power playing around delivering heirs and making marital alliances. Matt Smith and Milly Alcock are great to watch. With a time jump half way through the season, a big kudos to the casting team for older versions of some of the characters (haven’t seen it done this well since This Is Us). Also, enjoying seeing early Lannisters and other Thrones ancestors. My one issue is the graphic nature of the childbirths from excess blood to disturbing sounds. I’m not a father, so I can’t relate.

RINGS OF POWER (PRIME)
You can tell that a lot of money has been poured into this show. The production value is incredible and blends well with the films. I kind of like the fact that I do not recognize any of the actors, it allows for more open-mindedness about the characters. I do think there are too many stories going at once. I’m liking the dwarf/elf storyline the most, followed by Galadriel and her raising of an army. Looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

ANDOR (DISNEY+)
It’s a good thing that Disney released the first three episodes of this series all at once. It took me to the third episode to get into in. The first ep is needed world building which is important but not always enthralling. The second ep is mostly filler. The third ep, things happen and I got more invested. The fourth ep starts off the real plot of the story. There are some interesting characters but no one that I’m loving right now. I have a feeling that some of these will grow on me, hopefully sooner before later.

REBOOT (HULU/DISNEY+)
I like a good behind-the-scenes look at television being made. It has a great cast led by Keegan-Michael Key, Judy Greer, Rachel Bloom and Paul Reiser. They are solid performers. Johnny Knoxville seems like stunt casting (no pun intended). Newcomer Calum Worthy is a fun addition as is the divided writing staff of old and new. I was a little shocked at the language. I guess I’ve only seen network friendly stuff from Steven Levitan (Just Shoot Me, Modern Family). The first four episodes have had their moments but I have a hard time seeing this series get a second season, I just don’t think it has the legs. I could be wrong though.

SHE-HULK: ATTORNEY AT LAW (DISNEY+)
It’s interesting to see the MCU try their hand at comedy. I’m enjoying She-Hulk. I like that I don’t have to take it seriously and find important Easter eggs and how they may affect the Marvel universe. Also, enjoyed the Madisynn character introduced in episode four, they should find more excuses to add her. I’m looking forward to Daredevil cameoing soon. This show is just a breath of fresh air in my opinion.  

HANDMAID’S TALE (HULU/CTV DRAMA)
I’ll be honest, I’m just watching this show to see it die. It has gotten so dark and depressing it’s just not appointment television anymore. Watching an angry and ragged Elisabeth Moss snipe at Yvonne Strahovski who smugly retaliates just doesn’t do it for me. I also don’t know what Bradley Whitford’s character is doing anymore. It’s just a slog. Not sure I can continue watching much longer.   

ATLANTA (FX)
This final season has been pretty good. I’m glad they are back in Atlanta instead of touring Europe. The episodes have some good social commentary and bizarre humour and I’m relieved that they are often sticking with Earn and Paper Boi. Curious how they’ll end the series in a couple eps.

What are you watching?

No comments: