Sunday, September 04, 2022

August TV Checklist

Here’s what I was watching this August. Not much to see, so we watched a bunch of older movies instead. Next month, I’ll tackle House of Dragons and Rings of Power. Let the fall fantasy duel begin.

BETTER CALL SAUL (AMC)
I tip my hat to Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould for a fantastic ending to this amazing series. As I stated in a previous post, at times, this show surpassed Breaking Bad. I loved the character arcs and the finale did not disappoint as it brought some stuff full circle. I won’t spoil it for you but trust me that it was a finale that ranks among the best out there. I also loved how the writers resolved things earlier than expected to keep the viewer guessing as to what they were going to do next. I’m going to miss this series. Maybe time for another rewatch.

SHE-HULK: ATTORNEY AT LAW (DISNEY+)
I’m three episodes in. They are definitely going more towards comedy than Marvel action/adventure. They have their share of Marvel cameos and attempts to fill in plot holes and unanswered questions. I was okay with the break-the-fourth-wall thing She-Hulk, sorry, Jennifer Walters does, but the third ep goes a bit too far for my liking. You don’t have to go that meta to get me to feel in on the joke. I like Maslany’s performance and I think it will keep me entertained but not highly anticipating each episode.

MASTERCHEF: BACK TO WIN (FOX)
I’m sad that Derek is gone after trying to prove he can listen to others who are not as risk-taking as he is. Wish that Dara sacrificed herself for Derek. Anyway, I’ll be rooting for Michael now. Also, Gordon don't yell at chefs to cook faster and then be surprised when the meat is not fully cooked. That's on you.

AMAZING RACE CANADA (CTV)
I always find it funny when teams react so much when they are hindered by another team who followed the rules and used an advantage. It’s not Amazing Friendship Building, it’s the Amazing Race. Someone has to win the race. There’s still a couple teams I’m rooting for. Not the ‘entitled’ Beverley & Veronica though.

RACE AGAINST THE TIDE (CBC)
I find it odd that the sand sculptors always trash talk that they are gunning for other competitors. They are each making their own sculptures and are not allowed to sabotage each other. Just make your own amazing sand wonders and let the judges decide. Don’t care who wins, just like looking at their work.

BREEDERS (FX)
We ran across this FX and British series starring Martin Freeman (Sherlock, Hobbit) as a parent with some verbal rage issues. Not that I condone yelling at your children, but sometimes it sure looks like they deserve it. These kids are a piece of work. The parents have lots of their own issues too, along with their aging parents who have absolutely no filter. Three seasons so far. Ten 30-minute episodes per season. We enjoyed watching the family craziness.

What are you watching?

No comments: