Monday, September 21, 2020

2020 Emmy Awards Wrap Up

 


It was an interesting show to say the least. I did okay with 16 out of 22 categories (I count predicted and wanted as wins). Jimmy Kimmel did a pretty good job as host. I enjoyed all their Covid safety measures (loved Jason Bateman bit and the fire extinguisher bit). The DJ was useless; he kept stumbling and added nothing to the show. Get a better DJ with some personality. I thought some parts of the show went quicker as we didn’t have to wait for winners to get on stage and prepare to talk. As usual, I’m annoyed when they speed through nominees (this year it was the supporting categories and the lead drama) It was interesting and strange to see some of the backgrounds for the nominees (Little Fires Everywhere New Year’s Party? Okay.) Felt bad for the ‘losers’ whose kids stayed up for the show on video. I appreciated the layout for the In Memorium segment; I liked the use of stages. There weren’t any acceptance speeches that stood out to me but I thought the political comments were running a bit long. I get it. Everyone should vote. In regards to the winners, I was happy to see Schitt’s Creek sweep the comedy category. They got a total of nine Emmys – a record for a comedy in a single year. Not bad for a Canadian comedy. (I should probably watch the show now). I was also happy that Watchmen and Succession got a lot of love (though still annoyed that Better Call Saul is shafted every time). I was impressed how the award show adapted to this weird time.  Here are some of the winners of the night:

THE WINNERS:

Drama Series: Succession (Predicted)
Comedy Series: Schitt’s Creek (Predicted)
Limited Series: Watchmen (Predicted & Wanted)
Television Movie: Bad Education
Variety Talk Series: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (Predicted & Wanted)
Variety Sketch Series: SNL (Predicted & Wanted)
Lead Actor [Drama]: Jeremy Strong (Succession) (Predicted)
Lead Actress [Drama]: Zendaya (Euphoria)
Lead Actor [Comedy]: Eugene Levy (Schitt’s Creek) (Wanted)
Lead Actress [Comedy]: Catherine O’Hara (Schitt’s Creek) (Predicted & Wanted)
Lead Actor [Limited]: Mark Ruffalo (I Know This Much is True) (Predicted)  
Lead Actress [Limited]: Regina King (Watchmen) (Predicted & Wanted)
Supp. Actor [Drama]: Billy Cruddup (Morning Show) (Predicted)
Supp. Actress [Drama]: Julia Garner (Ozark) (Wanted)   
Supp. Actor [Comedy]: Daniel Levy (Schitt’s Creek)
Supp. Actress [Comedy]: Annie Murphy (Schitt’s Creek)
Supp. Actor [Limited]: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Watchmen)
Supp. Actress [Limited]: Uzo Aduba (Mrs. America)
Writing [Drama]: Succession – This Is Not For Tears (Predicted)
Writing [Comedy]: Schitt’s Creek – Happy Ending  (Predicted)   
Writing [Limited]: Watchmen – This Extraordinary Being (Predicted & Wanted)  
Writing [Variety]: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (Predicted)  

No comments: