Friday, December 27, 2019

Top 20 Films 1990-1999


Like the TV lists, I thought it would be fun to go back in time and post lists from the 90’s, 00’s and 10’s. These lists are incredibly hard to make. How do you put them into some kind of sensible order? I could just list them without ranking but what’s the fun in that. I also cheated and put some sequels together in one slot to make room for others. What I was looking for when picking the films is looking at movies that I could watch over and over again. No matter how many times I watch them, they don’t get boring. I’ve seen these films multiple times, I own them all and I invite you to watch them either for the first time or the twenty-seventh. Here’s the list.

1. A FEW GOOD MEN
Brilliant Sorkin script. Intense courtroom drama. Jessep monologue.
Memorable line: “You want me on that wall. You need me on that wall… “
2. THE USUAL SUSPECTS
Superior film & sound editing. Compelling story & twist. Noir goodness.
Memorable line: “And like that . . . he’s gone.”
3. THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
Ultimate bromance. Soaring and heart-breaking. Freeman narration.
Memorable line: “Innocent?” “Only guilty man in Shawshank.”
4. PULP FICTION
Beautifully non-linear. Snappy Tarantino dialogue. Kickin’ soundtrack.
Memorable line: “I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
5. THE ROCK
Ludicrously fun. Well-meaning villain. Connery. Explosions.
Memorable line: “What kind of a f****ed up tour is this?”

6. FIGHT CLUB
Twisted story. Group addiction. The rules. The love ‘triangle’. Ikea furniture.
Memorable line: “Slide”
7. THE MATRIX
Bullet time. Ultra-cool cinematography. Mind-bending story. Black leather.
Memorable line: “Whoa”
8. FORREST GUMP
Epic story. American history in images and song. Hanks amazingness.
Memorable line: “But you ain’t got no legs, Lieutenant Dan.”
9. SO I MARRIED AN AXE MURDERER
Quotable dialogue galore. San Francisco sites. Too nice cop. Scottish.
Memorable line: “He’ll be crying himself to sleep on his huge pillow.”
10. LIAR LIAR
Very fun premise. Carrey at his manic best. Fantastic one-liners. The claw.
Memorable line: “The pen is blue, the g****** pen is blue!”

11. TOY STORY
Genius Pixar idea. Toy nostalgia. Mr. Potato Head. Martians. Clever script.
Memorable line: “It’s . . . it’s bedsheets.” “Who invited that kid?”
12. TITANIC
Larger than life epic. The sinking ship. Leo and Kate. Tragic love story.
Memorable line: “Come back.”
13. GROUNDHOG DAY
Bill Murray’s sarcastic best. Fun concept. Eating like a god. Flapjacks.
Memorable line: “People like blood sausage too. People are morons.”
14. THE TRUMAN SHOW
A ‘what if’ that makes you think. Rooting for Truman. Complex production.
Memorable line: “Cue the sun.”
15. CLUELESS
Nineties teen speak. Freeway driving. ‘Scary’ dad. Cute rom-com fun.
Memorable line: “Get out of my chair!”

16. THE SIXTH SENSE
Excellent screenplay with brilliant twist before it was a thing.
Memorable line: “I see dead people.”
17. RUSHMORE
Wes Anderson goodness. Fun songs with montages. Best plays ever.
Memorable line: “She’s my Rushmore.” “I know. She was mine too.”
18. ALADDIN
Great use of Robin Williams. One Jump. Sidekick animals and carpet.
Memorable line: “Jafar, Jafar, he’s our man. If he can’t do it, GREAT!”
19. JERRY MAGUIRE
Tom Cruise as underdog. Cute kid. Lines so nice, they’re said twice. Kush.
Memorable line: “Help me help you! Help me help you!”
20. HOT SHOTS! & HOT SHOTS!: PART DEUX
Airplane-style comedy. Fun use of parody. Sheen surprisingly good.
Memorable line: “War. It’s fantastic.”




No comments: