Sunday, December 22, 2019

Film: Star Wars - The Rise of Skywalker









GENRE: Action Adventure
RATING: PG-13 for sci-fi violence
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 21 minutes
STARRING: Daisy Ridley (Murder on the Orient Express)
Adam Driver (Marriage Story), John Boyega (Detroit)
DIRECTOR: JJ Abrams (Star Trek, Alias, Felicity, Mission Impossible III)
WRITERS: Chris Terrio (Argo, Justice League) & Abrams (Super 8)
PLOT: The surviving Resistance takes on the First Order.        

FULL DISCLOSURE: I love this series. Yes, even The Last Jedi.  

STORY STUFF: I loved it. I thought it hit all the right notes. It was exciting, it was humorous, it was respectful of what came before it. I love the new locals, the increase of scale, the new droid and allies, the cameos and the wrapping up of the story. It was a big task to end this saga properly and I commend Abrams for doing just that. I would like to say more but don’t want to ruin anything for anyone.

ACTING STUFF: Everyone gives it their all. Ridley and Driver amp up their emotional parental baggage. Boyega and Oscar Isaac have some great buddy moments, along with Chewbacca. The droids are also fun, even C-3PO. Yes, you read that right, C-3PO. I do think Kelly Marie Tran is underused considering her role in the last film though.

ARTISTIC STUFF: The special effects are awesome. The chase scenes are riveting. The score is phenomenal as always. The set pieces are the epitome of grand. I usually don’t comment on costumes but I liked Zorii Bliss’ helmet and I finally saw the necessity of Chewbacca’s belt (he looks so awkward without it).  

VERDICT: Five stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You watched the other Star Wars films.
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Little Women

No comments: