Wednesday, January 04, 2017

2017 Film Preview


Here’s what looks interesting at a glance for the new year. Again, I am basing a lot of my picks on the people involved, familiarity, or an interesting plot description. My opinions may change closer to the release dates (I missed four films from last year). Keep in mind that most these dates are flexible (some might get pushed into 2018). Here they are in release date order:

1. The Founder (Jan.20)
Looking forward to the devious story of McDonald’s founder, Ray Kroc
2. The Lego Batman Movie (Feb.10)
Probably not as good as The Lego Movie but should come close
3. Logan (Mar.3)
The Johnny Cash – Hurt trailer is pulling me in for another Wolverine flick
4. The Circle (Mar.4)
A thriller with Tom Hanks, Emma Watson and John Boyega. I’m in.
5. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (May.5)
Looking forward to baby Groot and the rest of the gang. Should be fun.
6. Wonder Woman (Jun.2)
The trailer is pretty exciting. Hoping it lives up to the hype.
7. The Mummy (Jun.9)
Not my favourite monster but it has Tom Cruise in it, so I’ll give it a shot.
8. Cars 3 (Jun.16)
Just hoping this is better than the disappointing Cars 2. Hope the ad is right.
9. Despicable Me 3 (Jun.30)
Even though the minions are mostly absent from the trailer, still on board.
10. Spiderman: Homecoming (Jul.7)
Love the young age of the new Spiderman. Like that Tony Stark is in it too.
11. Dunkirk (Jul.21)
Christopher Nolan directs an awesome male cast in a WWII epic. Yup.
12. Baby Driver (Aug.11)
Directed by Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) and stars Kevin Spacey
13. It (Sep.8)
I liked the mini-series that aired in 1990. That Pennywise be creepy.
14. Blade Runner 2049 (Oct.6)
I’m in for another replicant ride. I’ll have to watch the director’s cut again.
15. Thor: Ragnarok (Nov.3)
It seems this movie took forever to make. Hoping it’s better than Thor 2.
16. Justice League (Nov.18)
Let’s see if this can come close to The Avengers. Not holding my breath.
17. Murder on the Orient Express (Nov.22)
Kenneth Branagh directs/leads an all-star cast in this Agatha Christie story
18. Star Wars: Episode VIII (Dec.15)
The one I'm most looking forward to. Like you didn’t know that.
19. Downsizing (Dec.22)
Alexander Payne directs a fun cast and has Matt Damon shrinking himself.
20. Molly’s Game (Late 2017)
This is written and directed by Aaron Sorkin, so I’m there.

For those who like to plan ahead
Upcoming in 2018: Bad Boys 3, Black Panther, Wreck-It Ralph 2, Ready Player One, A Wrinkle in Time, Avengers: Infinity War Part 1, Star Wars: Han Solo, Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Mission Impossible 6, Aquaman, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 2, Avatar 2, Mary Poppins Returns

No comments: