Thursday, September 19, 2013

TV: Dexter Finale






So Dexter ends it runs this Sunday. It’s been a pretty good ride watching our favourite serial killer for the past eight seasons. I thought I should look back and reflect on what made this show so interesting. Enjoy the finale!

FIVE THINGS I’LL MISS ABOUT DEXTER
1 The Suspense Even though there is blood from time to time, I never found this show to be gory but I did find it suspenseful. As you watch, you constantly wonder if and when he’ll be found out and by whom.
2 Dexter’s Appreciation I always enjoyed the warped idea of Dexter admiring the process of other serial killers, namely The Ice Truck Killer and Trinity.
3 Debra’s Mouth Talk about un-lady-like, while Debra could be annoying at times, I always enjoyed hearing the string of vulgarities coming out of her mouth. It often made me smile because she had absolutely no filter when it came to language. Only on cable.
4 The Final Moments Most episodes ended with something shocking. Things would wrap up with some peaceful but haunting music and insights from Dexter and then they would pull the rug from under you with a delicious reveal.
5 Opening Titles I simply love the opening titles to Dexter. It brilliantly implies the ‘violent’ nature of the morning routine with some pretty catchy music. And I love that last ‘ding’ sound.

FIVE FAVOURITE EPISODES
1 The Getaway (Season 4 Episode 12)
It’s a cat and mouse game between Dexter and Trinity as Deb breaks the case wide open. The brilliant fourth season culminates in the most shocking Dexter death.
2 Born Free (Season 1 Episode 12)
Dexter must decipher a number of clues about his past in order to find Deb who has been kidnapped by the Ice Truck Killer. A wonderful conclusion to the first stellar season.
3 Remains To Be Seen (Season 4 Episode 2)
When Dexter wakes up from a car crash, he must find the body that was in the trunk but he is constantly side-tracked. This is a great mystery episode.
4 Resistance is Futile (Season 2 Episode 9)
Dexter thinks that he has been found out at the Bay Harbor Butcher but the evidence points to a fellow officer instead. I love it when he almost gets caught.
5 Are You . . . ? (Season 7 Episode 1)
As Dexter avenges a fellow police officer, Deb tries to put the pieces together of what she witnessed Dexter doing the night before. Dexter’s quick thinking is sight to behold.

FIVE FAVOURITE QUOTES
1 from Morning Comes (Season 2 Episode 8)
LUNDY: Morgan, come in. Can I offer you some tea?
DEXTER: Uh, no, thank you. I'm... [thinking] And he pours it anyway. He's trying to throw me off balance, show that I don't have the power to say no to him.
LUNDY: How about some sesame crackers to go with that?
DEXTER: [thinking] So I'll say yes to everything. I'd love some.
LUNDY: Oh. Sorry. Guess I ate them all.
DEXTER: [thinking] Asshole.
2 from The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Season 3 Episode 3)
DEXTER: Rita’s pregnant.
DEB: You’re lying.
DEXTER: I’m not lying.
DEB: A baby? A mother**king roly-poly, chubby, cheeked, shit machine? Are you kidding me?
DEXTER: I’ve never heard it described in quite those words before, but yeah.
3 from Morning Comes (Season 2 Episode 8)
MASOUKA: Why do you get a hug and I only get a tap on the nose?
BATISTA: Cause you’re like a retarded puppy.
4 from Those Kind of Things (Season 6 Episode 1)
DEXTER: I have no idea what ‘hammer time’ is … or how it differs from regular time.
5 from Dexter (Season 1 Episode 1)
DEXTER: Harry and Dorris Morgan did a wonderful job raising me. But they're both dead now. I didn't kill them, honest.

Hope you enjoy the finale.

UPCOMING REVIEWS:
Emmy Awards, Breaking Bad

No comments: