Saturday, February 18, 2012

Film: The Help






GENRE:
Drama
RATING:
PG-13 for thematic material
RUNTIME:
2 hour and 26 minutes
STARRING: Emma Stone (Easy A, Crazy Stupid Love)
Viola Davis (Doubt) Octavia Spencer (Dinner for Schmucks)

DIRECTOR:
Tate Taylor (newcomer)
WRITER:
Tate Taylor (newcomer)
PLOT:
A1960s writer decides to write a book from the African-American maid’s point of view of the white families they work for.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:

1
The story was interesting but not totally engrossing. I’m sure the book is better but I haven’t read it. I thought there were a lot of things just thrown in there. Minny’s abusive husband? We didn’t really see him at all so why reference it unless you think we need even more sympathy for her character?
2
I was watching this film to see if these actresses truly deserved to win Oscars. Viola Davis did a great job but I was thinking Meryl Streep was going to run away with the award. Then the last scene happened. Davis is amazing in the last scene. Davis deserves the Oscar.
3
Octavia Spencer also deserves an Oscar for her amazing performance. I felt she stole the show. She has the perfect blend of sass and sympathy. I was blown away by her performance.
4
The Pie. How could she not know? How much was in there?
5
Definitely a film for women. Glad I watched it at home and not the theatre. I wonder how many men saw this in the theatre?

RECOMMENDATION:
DVD-for women TBS-for men
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
Hugo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, the book is far better than the film (in my humble opinion)....I was surprised at what the movie chose to eliminate from the book - I agree that the abusive husband story line could have added more depth to Minnie's character...I was hoping to see some ass-kicking in the flasher vs. Minnie/Miss Celia scene but it never came....sigh....