Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Film: Captain America: The First Avenger






GENRE:
Action, Adventure
RATING:
PG 13 for action violence
RUNTIME:
2 hours and 4minutes
STARRING: Chris Evans (Fantastic Four, Sunshine) Hugo Weaving (Matrix), Tommy Lee Jones (The Fugitive)
DIRECTOR:
Joe Johnson (October Sky, Jumanji, Rocketeer)
WRITERS:
Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely (Narnia series)
PLOT:
Scrawny Steve Rogers volunteers for a top secret super-soldier program and becomes a superhero dedicated to defending America.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:

1
I’m not a big fan of Chris Evans. I avoided this film for a while mostly because of him. I liked him in Not Another Teen Movie but that was about it. He has this smugness that gets confused with charm and it usually puts me off. Surprisingly, I thought he did quite well in this film. He had the right amount of confidence and vulnerability, even though his head on the scrawny body did not always look normal.
2 Of course I enjoyed watching the supporting characters even more. Tommy Lee Jones is prefect as the Colonel. Loved his steak scene. Stanley Tucci (The Terminal) is fun as Dr. Erskine with his fatherly ways. Hugo Weaving is your typical psycho but works it well. Dominic Cooper (An Education) is also interesting as Iron Man’s dad.
3
However, love interest Peggy Carter, played by Hayley Atwell (The Duchess) was awful. I didn’t find her relationship with Steve Rogers cute at all. Calling her a dame does not make her more attractive. I wish she had some better lines and better reason for being in this film.
4
The “Go America” stuff gets pretty tiresome for a Canadian. And I guess it’s because I’m a cynical person but when the soldiers genuinely say “Hey, let’s follow Captain America” it still sounds sarcastic to me. Hard to take a lot of the dialogue in this film; hence, not that terribly engrossed in the plot as well.
5
The best part was after the credits had rolled. Usually we see another recruitment for the Avengers by Sam Jackson’s Nick Fury. This time we also got a fun trailer for next year’s Avengers flick written and directed by Joss Whedon (Buffy, of course). I absolutely love the tagline: Some Assembly Required. I cannot wait for this film to come out next year.

RECOMMENDATION: Probably wait for TBS
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
Crazy, Stupid Love

No comments: