Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Film: The Town






GENRE:
Crime/Drama
RATING:
R for violence, language, some sexuality
RUNTIME:
2 hours and 5 minutes
STARRING:
Ben Affleck (Good Will Hunting) Jeremy Renner (Hurt Locker), Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
DIRECTOR: Ben Affleck (Gone Baby Gone)
WRITERS:
Peter Craig (newcomer), Ben Affleck & Aaron Stockard (Gone Baby Gone)
PLOT:
A bank robber falls for the bank manager that can identify him and his crew. Does he give it all up for her?

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1
The opening heist scene is very well choreographed and paced. Got me involved right away. Nice job Affleck.
2
Some great acting in this film. Jeremy Renner plays a great loose cannon. Affleck has redeemed himself acting-wise. I also enjoyed seeing Jon Hamm in a non-Mad Men-ish role.
3
It's a very well paced film. The two hours fly by. I did enjoy the first half over the second half a lot more. The destruction brought about by the ‘nun’ heist didn’t do it for me.
4
The writing was pretty sharp. I highly enjoyed the redemption story. It’s like a parable. Kudos Affleck. I might be tempted to watch Gone Baby Gone now.
5 I really enjoyed the café scene where James joins Doug and Claire. Light yet suspenseful. Beautifully done.

RECOMMENDATION:
It’s on DVD now, so watch the DVD
UPCOMING REVIEWS:
Black Swan

No comments: