Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Film: Fantastic Mr. Fox

STARRING: George Clooney (Ocean’s Trilogy, Men Who Stare at Goats); Meryl Streep (Julie & Julia; Mamma Mia)

DIRECTOR: Wes Anderson (Rushmore; Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic)
WRITER: Wes Anderson & Noah Baumbach (The Life Aquatic)
PLOT: A fox, who is addicted to stealing chickens, angers a group of farmers who take vengeance on him and his family.


FIVE OBSERVATIONS
4 Even though it is stop motion animation, this film is classic Wes Anderson. It has the quirky music, dialogue and character traits, the bird’s eye view shots, the colorful backstory descriptions, the faithful troupe consisting of Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray. If you like Wes Anderson films, this will not disappoint.

4 I loved how the characters acted sophisticated, yet were still animals. Mr. Fox at breakfast was hysterical. Classy until the devouring of food occurs.
4 Being a family film, there should be no foul language. Anderson simply substitutes the word ‘cuss’. It’s genius. Check out this excerpt of dialogue:

Fox: Your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.
Badger: The cuss you are.
Fox: The cuss am I? Are you cussing with me?
Badger: No, you cussing with me?
Fox: Don't cussing point at me!
Badger: If you're gonna cuss, you're not gonna cuss with me, you little cuss!
Fox You're not gonna cuss with me!
[Both start snarling at each other, and then settle down]
Fox: Just buy the tree.

4 Great voice casting. George Clooney is having a stellar year. He rocks the role or Mr.Fox. Meryl Streep, as his wife, is not too shabby either. Everyone brings their ‘A’ game to this film.

4 It did take me a little bit to get used to the tall thin legs of the characters (reminded me of Jack Skellington) but they eventually grew on me.


RECOMMENDATION
See it in the Theatre

(this is fun for all ages)


COMING SOON

Up in the Air, Sherlock Holmes

No comments: