Sunday, February 01, 2009

Film: The Reader

STARRING: Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road, Little Children); Ralph Fiennes (Schindler’s List, Harry Potter)
David Kross (newcomer)
DIRECTOR: Stephen Daldry (The Hours)
WRITER: David Hare (The Hours)
PLOT: Nearly a decade after his affair with an older woman, Michael Berg, a law student, witnesses his former lover defend herself in a war-crime trial.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS
4 After seeing Revolutionary Road and now The Reader, I can safely say that Kate Winslet is one of the best actresses in the business. This is stellar work. She does a fantastic job of conveying so much emotion without uttering a word. Winslet is amazing and the main reason to see this film.
4 David Cross plays Michael Berg as a young boy/man and he is eerily captivating. It’s interesting to watch his character silently piece things together. Ralph Fiennes plays Michael Berg as an older man and I don’t know why he was cast except for physical similarities. Fiennes didn’t interest me as much as Cross but I will concede that he has a great reading voice.
4 The Reader did a great job with cinematography. Very nice work with close-ups and interesting angles. I find it odd that there were two directors of photography. Chris Menges (Stop-Loss, Notes on a Scandal) and Roger Deakins (No Country for Old Men, Revolutionary Road) both took turns behind the camera. So I don’t know who to credit for what but The Reader was a visually sharp.
4 As some may know, I’m not a strong book person. However, I did like how this film promoted literacy. I hope more people pick up some books because of this film. I might even do so myself.

4 There was a little too much nudity in The Reader. I know there is an affair going on, but I don’t need to see all the body parts (male & female). Not that I’m a prude or anything, but you should know what you’re getting yourself into.

RECOMMENDATION
Wait for the DVD
(Unless you want to prep yourself for the upcoming Oscars.)


COMING SOON
Probably something lighter like a romantic comedy

No comments: