Sunday, June 25, 2023

Film: The Flash

 

GENRE: Action Adventure
RATING: PG-13 for violence, strong language and partial nudity
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 24 minutes
PLATFORM: Movie Theatre
STARRING: Ezra Miller (Perks of Being a Wallflower; Fantastic Beasts)
Michael Keaton (Batman); Sasha Cole (Young and the Restless)
DIRECTOR: Andy Muschietti (It; It Chapter Two)
WRITER: Christina Hodson (Bumblebee, Birds of Prey)
PLOT: The Flash changes the past and screws up the world.  

FULL DISCLOSURE: I enjoyed the first few seasons of The Flash.

STORY STUFF: I’m happy to say it wasn’t the train wreck I was expecting. There are a number of fun scenes and even some good emotional stuff in this film. Barry wanting to save his mom is straight from the comics so the premise worked for me. I was also a bit moved by Barry’s interactions with his mom. Loved the Batman stuff. The Zod and Supergirl plot did not need to be a part of this overstuffed film. So the last third of the movie falls apart for me. Also the speed force bowl graphics and concept just made my eyes roll a lot. I did enjoy Bruce Wayne explaining time travel and key crossovers using spaghetti. I’m glad this film and the latest Spiderman are taking time to explain things to us commoners.    

ACTING STUFF: I watched the recent TV series of The Flash and I really enjoyed Grant Gustin’s portrayal. Ezra Miller is a bit much, two of him is almost unbearable. Keaton steals the show naturally There are a number of cameos of other DC heroes both live and CG’d (I won’t spoil them). Cute to include them but it also shows that Barry needs some more star muscle for his ‘stand-alone’ film.

ARTISTIC STUFF: The speeding looks cool; the speed force looks dumb. One of the opening scenes involving a baby in the microwave is a little too cartoonish for my liking. I’m glad the Barrys had different haircuts. I did enjoy the repurposing of a Batman suit into a Flash suit. Fun stuff.    

VERDICT: Two and a half stars out of five (almost three)
SEE IT IF: You want to relive Keaton’s Batman complete with music
UPCOMING REVIEW:  Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

No comments: