Thursday, August 04, 2022

July TV Checklist

 

Here’s what I was watching this July during our road trip across Canada. Big thanks to Blue Curve and streaming services that I can watch in a hotel room after a long drive and exploring cities:

BETTER CALL SAUL (AMC)
I’m loving it so far but I will talk about the show after the last two episodes of the series.

STRANGER THINGS (NETFLIX)
I enjoyed the final two super-sized episodes. I wish the gang was more together instead of fighting on different fronts but at least they accomplished stuff. They have their work cut out for them for their final season. I wasn’t a huge fan of the epilogue as they jumped a bit and we didn’t get to see the immediate aftermath. Still got that Kate Bush song in my head though.

THE WHITE LOTUS (HBO)
Watched this series because of all its Emmy nominations. It’s a week at a Hawaiian resort with a little bit of comedy, drama and murder mystery. Interesting relationships and beautiful cinematography. I really enjoyed Murray Bartlett as Armond the hotel manager and the way he deals with his demanding guests. Jennifer Coolidge is a cringey and at times hilarious mess. I found the music didn’t quite fit the tone – it seemed more mysterious than it need to be.

WINNING TIME: THE RISE OF THE LAKERS DYNASTY (HBO)
I know nothing about basketball. Zach Braff said he loved the series while also knowing nothing about sports. I did enjoy the series as it shows how basketball started as the entertainment powerhouse it is today with floor seats, cheerleaders and box seats. John C Reilly is engaging as Jerry Buss but I was more drawn to Quincy Isaiah as Magic Johnson and Solomon Hughes as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. I didn’t know that Larry Bird was such a dick with his trash talking. As I didn’t know the outcomes, it was exciting to watch.

MS MARVEL (DISNEY+)
The show did not grab me. The main character does a good job and I like her family, but the mythology of the show was too all over the place. I know it will tie into The Marvels coming out next year so I hope it was worth it.

THE OFFER (PARAMOUNT+)
I love behind the scenes looks at Hollywood filmmaking. I really enjoyed the storytelling in this series. I wish it was all true – there have been a number of conflicting accounts. Good thing this isn’t a documentary. I’ll take this as an alternative reality. The characters are entertaining, what could have happened is incredible and I loved the homages to the original Godfather. This is definitely my kind of show. Wish it got some Emmy nominations.

ABBOTT ELEMENTARY (NBC)
This mockumentary of an inner city under-funded primary school is cute and has heart. I like the small core group of teachers and their oblivious principal. I really enjoy the Jim Halpert-style camera looks that Tyler James Williams (Everybody Hates Chris) gives. I do get a little tired of star/creator Quinta Brunson – she’s a too Leslie Knope in her passion but is also too needy.

MASTERCHEF: BACK TO WIN (FOX)
Still don’t know who I want to win. Enjoying the season so far though.

AMAZING RACE CANADA (CTV)
A lot friendlier than the American version. Love seeing places I’ve been before. Not sure who I am rooting for yet. Do not like singer Jully Black though.

RACE AGAINST THE TIDE (CBC)
Amazing sand sculptures. Bizarre that there’s trash talking, they are all doing their own thing. Like the previous host over Maestro Fresh-Wes, he’s just awkward. Also, we regret not visiting the beach as we drove right past it when we drove through New Brunswick.

What are you watching?

No comments: