Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Film: Thor: Love and Thunder

 

GENRE: Action, Adventure
RATING: PG-13 for sci-fi violence, action, and suggestive nudity
RUNTIME: 1 hour and 58 minutes
PLATFORM: Movie Theatre
STARRING: Chris Hemsworth (Avengers, Ghostbusters)
Natalie Portman (V for Vendetta); Christian Bale (The Dark Knight)
DIRECTOR: Taika Waititi (Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Jojo Rabbit)
WRITERS: Jennifer Kaytin Robinson (newcomer),
Waititi (What We Do in the Shadows, Jojo Rabbit)
PLOT: Thor, Valkyrie, Korg and a newly powerful Jane take on Gorr, the God Butcher.    

FULL DISCLOSURE: Thought the trailer gave away too much.    

STORY STUFF: Not my favourite Thor but at least it was better than Dark World (but that’s not a big feat). There are some fun scenes and good action sequences, but I wasn’t as crazy out there as Ragnarok.  Gorr’s motivation started okay but he was angry that gods are selfish – Thor is all about helping people, so it didn’t track for me. The Guardians of the Galaxy were barely a blip in the story. I enjoyed Thor’s weapons having a bit of personality like Dr. Strange’s cape. There is a Thor & Jane dating montage – when did that happen in the timeline?

ACTING STUFF: Hemsworth continues to play Thor well as he is clearly comfortable in the role. I liked Portman and Tessa Thompson working together. Korg was not as funny this time around. Bale is interesting but not amazing. I found Russel Crowe is disappointing as Zeus – just not my cup of tea. There are a bunch of fun cameos with drop-ins by previous characters. It seemed like a lot of fun on set.

ARTISTIC STUFF: I only expected one Guns & Roses song, but I enjoyed the multiple tracks. The goat yelling was okay but gets a tad repetitive. I was not a fan of Thor’s new outfit – the blue doesn’t work for me. I like the original one best.  

VERDICT: Three stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You’ve seen the other Thor films
UPCOMING REVIEW:  Bullet Train 

No comments: