Sunday, March 06, 2022

Film: Nightmare Alley

 

GENRE: Drama, Crime
RATING: R for bloody violence and some nudity and language
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 30 minutes
PLATFORM: Download
STARRING: Bradley Cooper (Alias, A Star is Born, American Hustle)
Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth); Rooney Mara (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
DIRECTOR: Guillermo del Toro (Shape of Water, Pan’s Labytinth)
WRITERS: del Toro (Hellboy, Hobbit 1-3); Kim Morgan (newcomer)
PLOT: A carny can ‘read minds’ but goes on his own and gets in over his head with the wealthy elite.    

FULL DISCLOSURE: Just watching this for the Oscars.

STORY STUFF: I have a hard time seeing this winning Best Picture as it was just okay. The opening carny stuff reminded me of HBO’s Carnivale which I enjoyed a lot better. I usually like a good con artist story but this one didn’t grab me. It wasn’t slick and the pacing dragged at times. The conclusion was sad with a chilling edge which was an interesting way to end the story.

ACTING STUFF: Cooper is charming and plays the con well but I wasn’t riveted. Blanchett was too over the top for me. The film has a good cast including Willem Dafoe, Toni Colette, Richard Jenkins, Mary Steenbugen, & David Strathairn but they have all done much better work in other films.

ARTISTIC STUFF: The production design was awesome. It was my favourite part of the film. I loved the depth and furniture of the psychiatrist’s office among other things. I would be good with the film getting the Oscar for this element.

VERDICT: Two stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You appreciate interior design.
UPCOMING REVIEW:  Remaining Oscar contenders

No comments: