Sunday, September 19, 2021

2021 Emmy Awards WrapUp

 

I enjoyed the lower-key Emmys this year. I preferred the tables and smaller space rather than a giant auditorium. I did okay with 17 out of 24 categories (I count predicted and wanted as wins). I was not a fan of Cedric the Entertainer as host; he had a couple good jokes but most the comedy bits were cringingly bad. I was also not a fan of Reggie Watts as the DJ. I understand that he’s part of the package with CBS but give me Questlove any day. When it came to the nominees, I enjoyed the clip packages that didn’t shortchange the lead categories like they sometimes do. I was happy with almost all the winners, though I feel I should watch Hacks and I May Destroy You now. I was impressed that The Crown folks were still rockin’ it at 4am in London when they received their best drama series award. I also love the theme for Ted Lasso so it was great to hear it so many times tonight. Some of the speeches were well done, I especially enjoyed Evan Peters, Kate Winslet and Hannah Waddingham. I also felt bad for Jason Sudeikis who referenced Lorne Michaels as a mentor but he was ‘taking a dump’ instead. The worst speech was the director of Queen’s Gambit who went on way too long. You don’t have time to read an entire sheet of paper and wax poetic about your entire cast. Write them some personal emails and get off the stage. Though Conan lost tonight, he still made a spectacle of himself throughout the night – sometimes it was funny, other times, desperate. I was impressed with the images they use for the In Memorium segment – it looks great and tells me more about the people we lost. Speaking of losing, networks shows are hurting. Only two network shows won tonight: SNL and Colbert. Both of them for live shows. There is no way for network shows to compete with cable and streaming. I think something should be done about that. Anyway, here are the winners of the night:

THE WINNERS:

Drama Series: The Crown (Predicted & Wanted)

Comedy Series: Ted Lasso (Predicted & Wanted)

Limited Series: The Queen’s Gambit (Predicted)

Variety Talk Series: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (Wanted)

Variety Sketch Series: SNL (Predicted & Wanted)

Lead Actor [Drama]: Josh O’Connor (The Crown) (Wanted)

Lead Actress [Drama]: Olivia Coleman (The Crown)

Lead Actor [Comedy]: Jason Sudeikis (Ted Lasso) (Predicted & Wanted)

Lead Actress [Comedy]: Jean Smart (Hacks) (Predicted & Wanted)

Lead Actor [Limited]: Ewan McGregor (Halston)

Lead Actress [Limited]: Kate Winslet (Mare of Easttown) (Predicted & Wanted)

Supp. Actor [Drama]: Tobias Menzies (The Crown)

Supp. Actress [Drama]: Gillian Anderson (The Crown) (Predicted & Wanted)

Supp. Actor [Comedy]: Brett Goldstein (Ted Lasso) (Wanted)

Supp. Actress [Comedy]: Hannah Waddingham (Ted Lasso) (Wanted)

Supp. Actor [Limited]: Evan Peters (Mare of Easttown) (Predicted & Wanted)

Supp. Actress [Limited]: Julianne Nicholson (Mare of Easttown)

Directing [Drama]: The Crown – War

Directing [Comedy]: Hacks – Pilot

Directing [Limited]: Queen’s Gambit (Predicted)  

Writing [Drama]: The Crown – War (Wanted)

Writing [Comedy]: Hacks – Pilot

Writing [Limited]: I May Destroy You (Predicted)  

Writing [Variety]: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (Predicted & Wanted)

No comments: