Friday, April 23, 2021

Oscar Predictions 2021


It’s that time of year again for my fearless Oscar predictions. I found this year incredibly hard to predict with no clear front-runners in many categories. Just as a reminder, I’m not predicting who I want to win but who I think the Academy will vote for. From smaller to bigger, here we go:

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
TWO DISTANT STRANGERS
(The story will remind voters of George Floyd.)

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
IF ANYTHING HAPPENS I LOVE YOU
(Parents grieving. I think it’s a downer year.)

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
A CONCERTO IS A CONVERSATION
(About a jazz pianist. It’s also jazzy year.)

SOUND
SOUND OF METAL
(I’ll be angry if this doesn’t win. It’s what the film is about.)

ORIGINAL SCORE
SOUL
(Though I really don’t want Jon Batiste to get an Oscar)

ORIGINAL SONG
SPEAK NOW [ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI]
(They gotta give some love to this movie after Regina’s snub.)

VISUAL EFFECTS
TENET
(You don’t have to understand the film to enjoy the visuals.)

MAKE-UP & HAIRSTYLING
MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM
(They might have overdone it a bit from the images I’ve seen.)

COSTUME DESIGN
MANK
(I think the Hearst party outfits will trump Ma Rainey.)

PRODUCTION DESIGN
MANK
(Hollywood loves the Old Hollywood look.)

FILM EDITING
SOUND OF METAL
(The editing matches the amazing sound scape.)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
NOMADLAND
(There are some beautiful shots of the sky and such.)

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
MY OCTOPUS TEACHER
(This one seems to be a crowd pleaser.)

ANIMATED FEATURE
SOUL
(This one looks like a lock this year, unless the wolves come.)

INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM
ANOTHER ROUND
(The director nomination puts this one in the lead.)

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
NOMADLAND
(I think The Father deserves it more but predict this will get it.)

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
(This is the edgier choice. I think’s Sorkin’s film will be shut out.)

BEST DIRECTOR
CHLOE ZHAO [NOMADLAND]
(Pretty confident in this one. History-making time!)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
YUH-JUNG YOUN [MINARI]
(She’s been winning more lately.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
DANIEL KALUUYA [JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH]
(He was pretty charismatic. And he’s been winning lately.)

BEST ACTRESS
FRANCES MCDORMAND [NOMADLAND]
(She carries the film. This was one of the hardest to predict.)

BEST ACTOR
CHADWICK BOSEMAN [MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM]
(I think everyone wants to honor this actor.)

BEST PICTURE
NOMADLAND
(Not might favourite but seems most fitting after this bizarre Covid year.)

I rocked it with 21 out of 24 last year. Not as confident this year. We’ll see what happens this Sunday.

No comments: