Friday, March 26, 2021

Film: The Last Blockbuster

 

GENRE: Documentary
RATING: Not Rated
RUNTIME: 1 hour and 26 minutes
PLATFORM: Netflix
STARRING: Sandi Harding (newcomer); Kevin Smith (Clerks)
Jamie Kennedy (Scream); Doug Benson (Lego Batman Movie)
DIRECTOR: Taylor Morden (Pick It Up! – Ska in the ‘90s)
WRITER: Zeke Kamm (The Weird Al Show, Dexter’s Laboratory)
PLOT: There’s only one Blockbuster video store left in Bend, Oregon. Will they survive?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I used to work at Blockbuster.   

STORY STUFF: As stated in my disclosure, I used to work at Blockbuster. Other than teaching, it was my favourite job. I loved recommending films, stocking shelves and even rewinding tapes (hated calling about late fees though). I was actually named Employee of the Month a few months into my tenure. This documentary is just full of nostalgia. There’s a bunch of interviews with lower-than-Dancing-with-the-Stars-level celebrities who reminisce on their previous employment with the once popular franchise. Luckily, the doc also gives a few answers, especially what happened and is it Netflix’s fault?

ACTING STUFF: It’s interviews so not much to say here. Kevin Smith is a little puffed up as usual. Doug Benson gets annoying at times.

ARTISTIC STUFF: There are some fun graphics here and there. I really enjoyed the packaging of their film in a beat up Blockbuster case. It is the same reason I bought the Blockbuster movie game that is similarly packaged. I’m a sucker for clever presentation.

VERDICT: Four stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You remember making it a Blockbuster night.  
UPCOMING REVIEW: Zack Snyder’s Justice League

No comments: