Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Film: Dumbo









GENRE: Family
RATING: PG for thematic elements and mild language
RUNTIME: 1 hour and 52 minutes
STARRING: Colin Farrell (Phone Booth, Minority Report, In Bruges)
Danny DeVito (Batman Returns), Michael Keaton (Batman, Birdman)
DIRECTOR: Tim Burton (Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands)
WRITER: Ehren Kruger (Arlington Road, The Ring, some Transformers)
PLOT: A baby elephant with large ears is seen as a freak until he can fly.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Only Tim Burton compelled me to watch this film.  

STORY STUFF: When I think back to the animated film, there was not much to that story. Burton expands it with Farrell as a veteran and Keaton as a rival circus owner wanting Dumbo for himself but it still didn’t draw me in. I really only cared what happened to Dumbo. Burton also fills his cast with interesting circus folk but they are pretty one-dimensional. They also suddenly love Dumbo but we are not shown why.

ACTING STUFF: Farrell does an admirable job in this film; he fits the role nicely. Keaton and DeVito chew the scenery but that was to be expected. I did not like Nico Parker who plays Farrell’s daughter and biggest Dumbo supporter. She got on my nerves a lot with her self-righteous tone. I also think Eva Green was miscast as Colette, the trapeze artist (and love interest?). I just find her creepy. She better at playing villains.

ARTISTIC STUFF: Dumbo is adorable. He’s the reason to watch the film. Lots of ‘aww’s throughout. Of course, the Burton-esque production design is also fantastic. I also appreciated that the animals didn’t talk and we didn’t have those racist crows. Smart choice.  

VERDICT: Two and a half stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You like cute elephants
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Shazam!

No comments: