Saturday, November 17, 2018

Film: Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald









GENRE: Fantasy Adventure
RATING: PG13 for fantasy action
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 14 minutes
STARRING: Eddie Redmayne (Theory of Everything, The Danish Girl)
Katherine Waterston (Inherent Vice), Johnny Depp (Pirates . . . )
DIRECTOR: David Yates (Harry Potter 5-8, Fantastic Beasts)
WRITER: JK Rowling (Harry Potter novels, Fantastic Beasts)
PLOT: Newt and the gang try to recapture Gindelwald and find out the true identity of Credence Barebone.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Just a casual fan of this series.

STORY STUFF: I’m just not finding the story as captivating as I would like. I think the characters are interesting and there are some great moments throughout but I’m not on the edge of my seat. I’m glad after two films, I finally know who Credence really is (but wow, it took a long time to get there). I do like that they change locations and we get Paris instead of New York. I also really enjoyed the flashbacks to Hogwarts.

ACTING STUFF: Redmayne continues to delight in his twitchiness and Dan Folger is always fun to watch as Kowalski. Waterson’s Tina is fine and all but I’m not really rooting for her. Depp gets to be playful and menacing with Grindelwald but I found Jude Law just okay as Dumbledore. I assume he’ll get more awesome in the next films.

ARTISTIC STUFF: It’s on par with the first film and the Harry Potter series. Some amazing visuals that are both creative and mesmerizing. The dragon looks a little too close to Fuchur, Atreyu’s luck dragon from Neverending Story and I don’t know if that was intentional or not. Again, my favourite beasts are the nifflers.

VERDICT: Three stars out of five
SEE IT IF: You liked the first one and want more
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Ralph Breaks the Internet

No comments: