Thursday, August 13, 2015

Film: Ant-Man








GENRE: Action, Adventure
RATING: PG-13 for action violence
RUNTIME: 1 hours and 57 minutes
STARRING: Paul Rudd (This is 40, Anchorman, Clueless)
Michael Douglas (The Game, Wall Street); Corey Stoll (House of Cards)
DIRECTOR: Peyton Reed (Yes Man, Bring It On)
WRITERS: Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead), Joe Cornish (Tintin, Hot Fuzz)
Adam McKay (Anchorman, The Other Guys) & Paul Rudd (Role Models)
PLOT: A burglar is recruited by a scientist to use a shrinking suit to stop a villain from using the same technology to destroy the world. Simple, eh?

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1 While the overall concept for this movie is pretty silly, Rudd’s humour and charm pull it off. Michael Douglas also brings it. It is a very fun film to watch. You will be pleasantly surprised.
2 I know one of the Thomas the Train jokes are used in the trailer, but the entire sequence is full of great moments.
3 I love the Avenger references in this movie. From comments to a confrontation. It’s all done very well.
4 Abby Ryder Fortson (Togetherness, Transparent, The Whispers) is adorable as Rudd’s daughter in this film. And is Judy Greer everyone’s mother now? She just played the mom in Jurassic World. I guess she just has that mom type attitude.
5 I’ve never hid the fact that I just don’t like Evangeline Lilly. She was okay in The Hobbit but not much else. I sure hope she doesn’t continue on in the Avengers universe because that will bum me out. What I hated even more than Lilly was her stupid bob hair-cut. I shudder to think on it.

RECOMMENDATION: Fun for theatre & home
UPCOMING REVIEWS: The Walk

No comments: