Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Film: Foxcatcher








GENRE: Drama
RATING: R for some drug use and some violence
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 14 minutes
STARRING: Steve Carell (Crazy Stupid Love, The Way Way Back)
Channing Tatum (22 Jump Street), Mark Ruffalo (The Normal Heart)
DIRECTOR: Bennett Miller (Moneyball, Capote)
WRITERS: E. Max Frye (Where the Money Is) & Dan Futterman (Capote)
PLOT: A true story about a multimillionaire who ‘trains’ a pair of Olympic wrestling brother team. Things get a creepy from there.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1 I’m not really a wrestling fan but I found the subject matter of this film somewhat interesting. But while it might have been interesting, I did not find the film all that entertaining. Moneyball kept me engaged, this one did not.
2 Carrell is fantastic in an Oscar-worthy performance as the disturbing John E. du Pont. And it’s not just the prosthetic nose. His whole demeanor is a treat to watch.
3 There were a lot of moments of silence. This definitely did not help its entertainment value.
4 To be fair, there were some very great scenes throughout. I really enjoyed Mark Ruffalo’s manipulated interview. And Tatum did some fine work.   
5 I don’t know why, but Ruffalo’s facial hair bothered me.

RECOMMENDATION: Maybe catch it on Netflix
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Hobbit 3; Imitation Game

No comments: