Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Film: Mockingjay - Part 1








GENRE: Adventure
RATING: PG-13 for violence and thematic material
RUNTIME: 2 hours and 3 minutes
STARRING: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook)
Liam Hemsworth (Expendables 2), Julianne Moore (Children of Men)
DIRECTOR: Francis Lawrence (There’s Something About Mary)
WRITERS: Peter Craig (The Town) & Danny Strong (The Butler, Recount)
PLOT: Katniss is underground as she helps prepare propaganda films to unite the districts against the Capitol.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1 I’m pleased to say that the film is better than the book. I was surprised that they were able to fill two hours with the first half of the final novel. It did allow for a lot more dramatic acting on Jennifer Lawrence’s part. She was awesome again.
2 I appreciated the set design, especially District 13. It looked a lot cooler than I pictured in my head while reading it.
3 They chose a free Effie instead of tortured stylists to help Katniss. A smart choice. The comic relief of Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson’s Haymitch are wonderfully inserted into this intense film.
4 I miss Philip Seymour Hoffman. He was wonderful.
5 They ended on a great looking scene. It sucks that I have to wait another year for part two, but oh well.  

RECOMMENDATION: See it in the theatres
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Horrible Bosses 2; Foxcatcher

No comments: