Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Film: Lucy







GENRE: Action/Sci-Fi
RATING: R for strong violence and disturbing images
RUNTIME: 1 hour and 30minutes
STARRING: Scarlett Johansson (Avengers, Lost is Translation, Her)
Morgan Freeman (Oblivion), Min-sik Choi (Oldboy – original version)
DIRECTOR: Luc Besson  (The Fifth Element; La Femme Nikita)
WRITER: Luc Besson (Leon: The Professional; The Transporter)
PLOT: A woman, caught up in a drug mule situation, goes up against her captors when her brain is affected by the drugs.

FIVE OBSERVATIONS:
1 Looking at the trailer, I was expecting more action in this film. I got a little too much trippy cerebral stuff. Johansson is great but I wanted more butt kicking.
2 There are some fun nature cutaways in the opening scenes.
3 Speaking of nature shots, this film seemed to blend Bradley Cooper’s Limitless with footage from Terrence Malick’s Tree of Life. Beautiful cinematography but a lot of it.
4 They really insisted on playing up the language barrier. Lots of Chinese. I find it hard to believe that a crime boss as big as Mr. Jang wouldn’t know another language.
5 After seeing what Johansson went through, I am glad I only use a small part of my brain. [insert joke here]

RECOMMENDATION: Wait for TBS
UPCOMING REVIEWS: Guardians of the Galaxy

No comments: